Old Birth Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Birth Certificates

Hi can anyone read old Certificates, I am finding it very hard to make out what they say. Thanks

Hi janice, if you can upload a photo of a certificate or a cropped photo of the part you are having trouble with via a site such as Flickr or Photobucket and add a link to it here, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will be prepared to help.

Comment

Thank you Jill, I will get my husband to do it.

Comment

Hope someone can read and tell me what this old certificate says - here is the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/145121664@N08

Comment

Miller James
          (informant) Present
          Male
          September Fifteen
          (time of birth) 1hr? ?
          (Address) 35 ___annah Street Glasgow
          (Father) William Miller
          (Occupation) ? ?
          Married 25 July 18??
          ? Glasgow
          ? Living

Mother
          Helen
          Miller
          previously Muggach(?) Maiden
          name Macfarlane ? child
          37 years
          (Informant)Helen her mark Miller Mother
          ? ?witness
          George ? Witness

Will look again later - perhaps others can change and/or fill in the gaps.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-09-16, 18:15.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Born at 35 Havannah Street, Glasgow.
            Fathers Occupation possibly Distillery Cooper
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Mother - after Macfarlane - her 9th child (?)

James ??? - witness
              George Patterson - Witness

Hour of birth 1 A.M.

Could year of birth be 1855 as it looks like year of marriage is 1840

After Father's occupation - (age) 30 years. (born) Campsie

Mother also born Campsie.

Issue (2nd box for father after "Glasgow") does it say 6 boys living?
              Last edited by ozgirl; 06-09-16, 19:00.
              Linda

Comment

Found the family on the 1861 (James was born in 1855, but is not with them). William is a Cooper.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=2854106

James's baptism in 1855: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1
                Linda

Comment

Thank you Katarzyna and Ozgirl, for the information and I have been looking for the marriage date of William and Helen as it was not on any of the other birth certificates or the son's marriage certificates.

Comment

The other witness is James Swan and after Macfarlane it says "her 9th child". She is 37 years of age and came from Campsie as did the father who is 30 years old. They have 6 boys living. I can't make out father's occupation. The year of birth is indeed 1855. This level of detail is only available in that year. Annoyingly for a period of roughly ten years afterwards, the parent's date and place of marriage was not recorded. The free info pages on Scotland's People will tell you more on this

Comment

Just a thought. If the birth is 1855, the register entry will be one of the double-page ones which were used in 1855 only. I had one, on which the registrar had used a very fine pen. The online scan wasn't very clear so I contacted Scotlands People and they did me a special hi-res scan and posted it to me (for free!).
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Updated Certificate

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          The other witness is James Swan and after Macfarlane it says "her 9th child". She is 37 years of age and came from Campsie as did the father who is 30 years old. They have 6 boys living. I can't make out father's occupation. The year of birth is indeed 1855. This level of detail is only available in that year. Annoyingly for a period of roughly ten years afterwards, the parent's date and place of marriage was not recorded. The free info pages on Scotland's People will tell you more on this
                          Hi have been sent New Certificate for the birth of James Miller which shows marrage date of William and Helen first date I have found but I have looked on Scotlandspeople and family sharch but cannot find the marrage information. Can anyone help please. Thanks https://www.flickr.com/photos/145121664@N08/29604391062/in/dateposted-public/

Comment

I wonder if this could be Helen's first marriage - (name recorded on birth certificate as Muggach ??)

01/10/1836 MCFARLANE HELEN - ALEXANDER MCGAUGH/FR1226 (FR1226) CAMPSIE /STIRLING 475/00

- although cannot see a second marriage under McFarlane or McGaugh.

Edit .. just seen your tree on Ancestry - seems you already have this!
                            Have you found a death for Alexander?
                            Elaine

Comment

Just in case, also check the Roman Catholic parish registers on Scotland's People. The child, being born in 1855 would be one the first ever registered in Scotland under civil registration. If the family were RC, his baptism and his parent's marriage (if in Scotland) would not be in the standard OPR database, that's for Church of Scotland only.
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-09-16, 14:53.

Comment

Alexander

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                I wonder if this could be Helen's first marriage - (name recorded on birth certificate as Muggach ??)

01/10/1836 MCFARLANE HELEN - ALEXANDER MCGAUGH/FR1226 (FR1226) CAMPSIE /STIRLING 475/00

- although cannot see a second marriage under McFarlane or McGaugh.

Edit .. just seen your tree on Ancestry - seems you already have this!
                                Have you found a death for Alexander?
                                No I have not found the death of Alexander yet but I do know they had a child named Helen born 1838

Comment

Working...
                                X