Who is he

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is he

12 Jun 1918 Mile End my Great Grandmother Lydia Rose aged 45 married an Albert Ernest Comley age 56 a Widower, occupation Packer, Father Albert a Grave Digger.
    I found them in 1939 so have his Birth Date which is 13 Nov 1861 I am trying to find where he was born and his family, problem is he is either Ernest Albert/Albert Ernest/Ernest Walter Comley, I only have him from the marriage.
    The only Birth record which fits with the period is Ernest Walter born Dec quarter 1861 South Stoneham Hampshire which I have added to my tree for now but cannot find him with a Father Albert.
    Also cannot find a likely death for his previous wife.
    His Death in 1952 Poplar is registered under Ernest W Comley Born abt 1862 Age at Death 90
    Anyone find him in 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911
    Thanks

Val .......

There is a Private Family Tree on ancestry that has that Ernest Walter Comley born 1862 Hampshire ............ says it has 22 records, 22 sources and photos.

Is there any point in you contacting them???
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks for looking Sylvia thats me as I said I attached that birth but have not verified it, the other records are electoral rolls and Marriage and Death which I have verified.
      I've never been able to find his father a a grave digger.

Comment

I've had a look, but the only thing I can find is a possible 1871 for the Ernest born in Hampshire

What address does he give on the marriage cert?

This may be stating the obvious and you've already tried, but might be worth checking to see if he was there in 1911.

Also worth tracing the witnesses back, unless you know they are connected to Lydia; he could have been living near (or better still, if you are really lucky, with) them in 1911.
        Last edited by PeteW1959; 01-09-16, 22:41.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

How sure are you that that is his death? He would have been 99 if the birth date you have is correct.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The address he gives on the marriage cert is the same as hers 16 Nicholas Street Mile End.
            Cannot find a likely candidate for him in 1911
            He is 90 on his death Kat am sure its his death he is on the electoral roll in that area till that year

Comment

How about this for 1911:-

You could compare the handwriting with his signature on the MC.

I can't find a death for Naomi, but could he have lied about being a widow? I have one in my tree who did that!

PS The family he is with on the 1918 Electoral Register are at Nicholas St in 1911, but no sign of him.
              Last edited by PeteW1959; 02-09-16, 09:58. Reason: Postscript added
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Problem with that Enfield Comley is the father - George occ Ag Lab not Albert
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

these are the two signatures side by side 1911 and the marriage it could be him what do you think1911 sig.JPGsignatures.JPG
                  I did look at that one in 1911 as I have a few like that who just upped and moved in with somebody else.
                  he is with a Leah Comley on that 1918 electoral roll isnt he ? maybe thats his mother?
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-09-16, 11:07.

Comment

Theory = the Ernest Comley on the 1871 census living with grandparents James and Hannah could have been the illegitimate son of one of their daughters and either made up the father's name Albert Comley, or dad was an Albert but not a Comley. I had thought he might be son of the Alfred Hewlett Comley on the census but that Alfred didn't marry until 1879 (then died in 1882)
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      these are the two signatures side by side 1911 and the marriage it could be him what do you think
                      Comparing the signatures I don't think they are the same; the upper case 'E' and lower case 'y' are completely different.

he is with a Leah Comley on that 1918 electoral roll isnt he ? maybe thats his mother?
                      No, he is with what I assume is a couple, Solomon and Sarah Rosetski; no one else in the hosehold.
                      Last edited by PeteW1959; 02-09-16, 11:27.
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Looking again at the MC, Albert and Lydia have very similar signatures, could even have been written by the same person.

Could the MC be a hand written copy and they are not signatures at all?
                        Last edited by PeteW1959; 02-09-16, 11:43.
                        Devine in Ireland

Comment

he is also with a Leah at 16 Nicholas Street in 1919 wonder if it means Lydia ?

Comment

interesting have found a Charles Ernest Comley in 1909 living in Devonshire Street Mile End Lydia was living in that Street in 1911, wonder if this is him

Comment

So we have:-
                              1918 Albert Ernest Comley at 16 Nicholas St, and appears to be single. Others are Rosetskis
                              1919 Albert Ernest Comley at 16 Nicholas St with Leah, and the Rosetskis.

1920 Nothing obvious

1921 Ernest Albert Comley with Lydia in Poplar, 20 Ireton St
                              ..and then for next few years still 20 Ireton St.

1928 Suddenly becomes Ernest Walter Comley, still at 20 Ireton St with Lydia!

No wonder you are having problems with him!

Sorry, but I can't add anything more; I have searched every which way I can think of, but I either get nothing relevant, or too many who could be him with the different combinations of names.

Do you have the DC? Maybe some clues on there. I found my wife's grandfather's original family from his DC as one of his daughters from his first marriage was the informant.
                              Last edited by PeteW1959; 02-09-16, 12:51.
                              Devine in Ireland

Comment

might send for it but Lydia died after him so probably the informant, thanks for trying Pete

Comment

Just tried looking for his father; there are only two Albert Comleys on the 1861, both are single with family, and one is too young.

I think the father's name on the MC is probably wrong, either mistakenly or on purpose.
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

if only I could find a Grave Digger anywhere? seems strange he says that for his fathers occupation.
                                    Thanks again Pete

Comment

Have you got/seen the birth certificate for Ernest Walter Comley born S Stoneham Q4 1861? It seems the parents of the one born in Enfield/Edmonton are clear from census etc but the Hampshire one, with grandparents as a boy, is interesting (see my theory Post #10)
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

missed this post sorry Judith, I did spot that and have put him in my tree but 1871 says his father is Alfred Hewlett Comley ? I will investigate further as he is the only likely one born right period,will have another look thanks again
                                        Last edited by Guest; 02-09-16, 18:43.

Comment

Working...
                                        X