Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please - different fathers name marriage/birth cert

I've been kickstarted back into my research

I've had a brick wall for some time, and finally decided to start chipping away at it.

I've been looking for a marriage in Liverpool for a Charles Redmond/Mary Kenny, and came to the conclusion that either (a) they married in Ireland, or (b) Mary invented a husband to save the stigma of admitting she had an illegitimate child.
    (I haven't been able to find a marriage in Ireland either, but that might be down to lack of online records)

I have found what could be the right marriage, but the man is named PATRICK, not Charles. Could this be the right one, and if so, why change his name?

Full story/details.

Working backwards, from census info & his marriage certificate, we have a Joseph Redmond who was born 1855/6 with a father Charles, a mariner.
    Joseph moved to the Tyldesley area & was a coal miner. He consistently said he was born in Liverpool.

There are 2 births around the right date, one in Manchester & one in Liverpool.

In 1861 he is living with his mother in Callows Terrace Liverpool, and Mary says she is a widow. Ancestry has transcribed this as Redman but I'm pretty sure its the right people.
    I've not been able to find Charles anywhere.
    In 1871 the Joseph [Redman] who I think is my chap is working in a colliery & boarding in Shevington, but the age is a year out.

The other Joseph was an upholsterer. On the 1871 census he is a boarder in Liverpool - this census says he is also born in Liverpool. He died in 1879 (reported in the Liverpool Mercury 24 Feb 1979)

The birth certificate for Joseph Redmond born in Liverpool in March 1856 names father Charles Redmond, mother Mary Kenny. Charles is a mariner & the birth was at 76 Hornby St, Liverpool. I have not found a baptism for him but I suspect his parents were Catholic so the records aren't online.

The marriage certificate I've just received is Patrick Redmond, mariner, father Joseph Redmond, a painter & glazier. They married by licence in St Paul's, Liverpool, on 14 June 1855.
    Both were living at 23 Hornby St at the time of marriage. (No great coincidence: it was a very heavily populated area) The witnesses are Hargreaves Woollacott and Mary Shaw, no obvious connection.

There is a possible death registration for a Patrick Redmond in Liverpool in Dec 1856, which is on order.

This does shed some light on the problem but poses more questions.

Patrick's father is named Joseph so its understandable that he'd name his firstborn after him.
    But I can't think of an obvious reason why someone would marry as Patrick but be known in his daily life as Charles.
    Its understandable that Joseph never knew his father (assuming the 1856 death is the right person) but his mother Mary registered the birth and this is 9 months after their marriage so you'd think she'd remember her husband's name! Joseph obviously thought his father was called Charles as he named his firstborn son after him.

So do you think this is the right marriage or do I put away my pickaxe for another day?
    Vicky

Wait for the death certificate for Patrick! There might be a clue to whether it is the right one.
    I do have people in my family who are known as another forename in lots of records but that was not their 'correct' name, which they used on some records.
    Consider the possibility that the name Patrick might have been stigmatised as too Irish so he preferred to be called Charles.

..... or maybe it is the wrong one!!! LOL
    Anne

Comment

I have a Josephine in my tree she is Irish ,when I got her Birth Cert it said Bridget but its definitely the right woman.

Comment

what year marriage are we talking about ?

Comment

thinking out loud here (or clutching at straws).... anyone well up in Catholic traditions?

I know it was customary to give a Saint's name as a baptismal name. I'm wondering if Patrick is his baptismal name so he used it rather than his everyday name when he was in church getting married?
          Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            what year marriage are we talking about ?
            they married in 1855
            Vicky

Comment

I'm a bit confused about who we're looking for but there are Liverpool Catholic records on Ancestry.

This one looks interesting

Josephus Patritius Redmond bapt. May 1856, born 16th March 1856. Father Patritu Redmond, mother Maria nee Kenny

Jackie

Comment

List of Latin Catholic names here

Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                  I'm a bit confused about who we're looking for but there are Liverpool Catholic records on Ancestry.

This one looks interesting

Josephus Patritius Redmond bapt. May 1856, born 16th March 1856. Father Patritu Redmond, mother Maria nee Kenny

WOW Thank you thank you thank you!

That is definitely my Joseph, its the same DOB as on my birth certificate.

I'm not surprised it didn't come up when I was searching!
                  Vicky

Comment

That's good

Worth bearing in mind that there are also Catholic marriages and burials on there. I believe its a free weekend on Ancestry if you don't have a sub
                    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                      That's good

Worth bearing in mind that there are also Catholic marriages and burials on there. I believe its a free weekend on Ancestry if you don't have a sub
                      thanks, I didn't realise they had those. Seems that quite a lot has been added since I last looked.
                      Vicky

Comment

Working...
                      X