Death registered twice different surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death registered twice different surnames

I found a couple of deaths of the same woman, same everything except on one it gives her married surname on the other her single one
    Any ideas

It is only one registration, indexed in all the surnames known to the informant at death.

OC

Comment

Do you mean the. Volume number and page number were the same on both entries? I f so I'd say it was one death registration but her name had been given as X otherwise known as Y. Possible she had separated or divorced and reverted to using her maiden name ?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks both ,yes same volume and page number.

Comment

I ordered a death certificate of a woman with surname beginning with N.

When it arrived, her surname began with B, but was the correct person, who had remarried after being widowed.

Certificates now have a section for the informant to state any other names the person had used and the index will record each of these surnames, but they are all the same person and same certificate.

Comment

thats interesting Gwyn thanks for that.

Comment

Was it in Scotland? One of the great things in Scotland is you can find a death in both maiden and married name after 1855.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee it was in Cornwall .

Comment

Working...
                X