Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drunken man and blind horse

in a newspaper artical i have being told there was a piece on,
    benjamin whitehead being in charge of a horse and cart at honily in warwickshire it went to the warwickshire court assizes where he was charged with being drunk while in charge of a horse. the policeman who arrested him had evidently done so numerous times because benjamin whitehead seemed to know him. i have searched in vain for this newspaper artical . can anybody help please i dont have a date but believe it would have being the late 1800s.
    thank you..

Had a quick look for you, but didn't find anything - sorry.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I just had a look but nothing sorry

Comment

thank you for trying.

Comment

The one I can see is for John Whitehead 13 November 1886 in the Leeds Times

Comment

no thats not him but thank you. i know it happened in balsall common /fen end warwickshire as he lived there and was very often up in court for being drunk in charge of a horse and cart and was always sent to warwick assizes.in this artical in the newspaper he spoke as if he knew the policeman well.

Comment

If you look at that article you will see that he DID come from Fen End, Basall. It's the court proceedings and is quite funny. He had been done many times before! The Leeds Times has articles from all over the country.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Drunk or Sober.JPG
                Kat

Comment

Well found, Katarzyna.

OC

Comment

he sounds a right character;)

Comment

thank you so much but i cannot read it for some reason . never dreampt it would be in a newspaper so far from where it happened. expected it to be just a local one.

Comment

Originally posted by megangrace View Post
                        thank you so much but i cannot read it for some reason . never dreampt it would be in a newspaper so far from where it happened. expected it to be just a local one.
                        If you click on the image a readable version should come up.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have emailed that to you Jill.
                          btw it was janirl that found it, I just followed it through. I wouldn't have expected to find it there either.
                          Kat

Comment

Then as now, newspapers were always on the lookout for a good story. I have found stories about people in my tree repeated word for word in many area papers. Maybe the relevant Warwickshire paper is not online?
                            Anne

Comment

It was reported in the Birmingham Daily Post & Worcestershire Chronicle & as far away as Salisbury.
                              Glen

Comment

yes it was the right person and i am most grateful for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X