Spence & Whyte in Marnoch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spence & Whyte in Marnoch

With new credits and new inspiration, I've started to investigate my great x4 grandparents:

Isobel WHYTE (OTP) and Charles SPENCE (Marnoch) married in 1798 in Turriff.

They had several children in Marnoch over the years:

Isobel and Charles are living together, alone, in the 1841 census in Marnoch.

I didn't find Isobel in the 1851.

There is a Charles Spence, Boarder in Turriff in the 1851, staying with Elizabeth Alexander, Pauper & Head of household. I know of no relationship from mine to Alexanders.

That Charles Spence died in 1855. In both the 1851 and the DC he is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner. I don't know that I think that is consistent with the baptism records of Charles and Isobel? So I don't think he's mine.

So, I'm thinking that Charles and Isobel died between the two censuses. I suppose they might have immigrated??? Their daughter from whom I'm descended did not leave until the mid-1850s.

I can't find burials or DCs for them, but I'll start double checking my work.

When I searched for burials of Charles Spence between 1808 and 1854, only two are between 1841 and 1851 - one in Dundee, Angus City, and the other in Edinburgh City, Midlothian. Don't think they're mine

Comment

in searching for Isabel Spence (and variants on both names) there's only 1 in the ten year time from - 1842, died in Montrose/Angus.

Any suggestions?

Comment

I can see an Isabella b ?Monquitter in the 1851 and 1861 living in Banffshire. She is on her own

A tree on Ancestry has Isabel's death in Marnoch as 1st May 1861 widow of Charles, Gardner. Informant only able to give James as father's name.

So Charles likely to be as you say dying between 1841 to 1851

Vera

Comment

Looking at FMP on the 1851 Isabella, widow is with d Ann (Massie). 1861 living on her own, widow.

Correction parents names on death cert is recorded as 'names not known to informant' not James as previously posted

Still not seeing Charles

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 23-08-16, 01:15.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            Looking at FMP on the 1851 Isabella, widow is with d Ann (Massie). 1861 living on her own, widow.

Correction parents names on death cert is recorded as 'names not known to informant' not James as previously posted

Still not seeing Charles

Vera
            Yes, that's my Isabella/Isobel - I have a genetic match with a descendant of Ann! I'm descended from daughter Eliza.

Does FMP have the census page images? or just transcriptions?

I wonder if the parish burial records don't exist in the period of his death? Or his name must be badly mangled?
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 23-08-16, 03:24.

Comment

Ancestry's transcription of the 1851 Ann Massie household shows that Isabella Massie is 20years old - way too young for her mother. Still looking for Isobel.

Comment

FMP and Ancestry transcription only as is usual. Images only available on SP.

Not sure what you mean by Isabel Massie being too young at 20 for mother of Ann. I will recheck Sure it was Isabel Spence.

Have done a search for Charles using lots of different possibles. More likely not registered

Vera

Comment

For some reason Isabella transcribed separately on Anc for 1851. With Ann on FMP

Isabella Spence
                  Age 75
                  Relationship Mother
                  b Monquhitter
                  Address Hills of Boyndie
                  Employed in Dom duties. Looks like depon rel ? Dependent relative

Vera

Comment

Think I'll need to buy the image ;)

Wish I could find a burial for Charles. It seems that they were financially challenged - do poor law records exist?

Comment

SP has 20 credits on offer. See Elaine's thread if haven't already.

It looks as if Isabel died in an institution as informant was an inmate. So could be a workhouse I suppose.

I have no knowledge of poor law records for Scotland. SP site would be the place if there are any.

Vera

Comment

Thanks, Vera

Comment

Working...
                        X