John Thomas Fieldhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Thomas Fieldhouse

born Hull 28 April 1893. I have him in East Yorkshire census 1901 (Pocklington) and 1911 (Hull) and also have his WW1 pension record. The latter is very sketchy - John was with the ASC as a driver for just 11 months (July 1915 to June 1916) and didn't serve overseas, so no medal index card or medal rolls. He was discharged due to being flat footed and the pension papers indicate a return to Hull and name two of his married sisters who lived in the city. All his siblings remained within a 20 mile radius of Hull.

I can't find him after 1916 - neither a 1939 entry, nor a probable death registration.

Can anyone spot him, please?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
    born Hull 28 April 1893.
    Baptism entry (image) on FMP - gives birth date as 21 April 1893 ... not that it helps find him post 1911. :(
    Elaine

Comment

A few years out, but have you eliminated this one:

Deaths Sep 1943
      FIELDHOUSE John T
      age at death 54
      York 9c 763
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - interesting!
        I took the 28 Apr birth date from his army discharge papers and must admit I hadn't looked for an actual bp for him, because it's his inclusion on a WW1 roll of honour that's my focus, rather than JTF being a member of my tree. (Still, sloppy research on my part though)

I think I probably by-passed that York death due to the age being out rather more that I would like, but I'll investigate it a bit further. (John T did have an older brother living in York 1901/1911, so it is within the realms of possibility.)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-08-16, 15:30.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've just had another search of the 1939 register and there is a J T (John Thomas added) Fieldhouse living in Hull with the birth date 21 April, year 1886 so the death in York COULD be for him. It fits within the year of birth span 1886 to 1893!:D
          Now, the 1939 register says the Hull man was a lighterman and an invalid - well my John Thomas was discharged from the army due to a flat foot and he seems to have undertaken a range of labouring jobs pre 1914, one was wherryman. I reckon wherryman and lighterman are similar and also Hull was a port with ships docking on the Humber and smaller boats using the river Hull.

Thanks Elaine, you've made me refocus and widen my field a bit. The Hull man says in 1939 he is married, so perhaps I'd better go back and look again for a marriage, although in 1939 he was living alone.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Possible marriage:

JOHN T FIELDHOUSE / CLARA SIMMESTER
            Marriage year 1917 4TH QTR.
            HULL
            Volume 9D
            Page 572

Children -
            male - 1918
            male - 1920
            female - 1924 MMN given as Simister

Clara Fieldhouse on 1939 register (transcribed as Freedhouse)
            Elaine

Comment

John Thomas Fieldhouse (occupation keelman) and wife Clara - mentioned in this newspaper report in 1922.
              Hull Dock mystery
              Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I'd seen the marriage and guessed it was the one I needed, as the name of the eldest son was the name of John's father and brother.

I would never have found Clara in 1939 by myself, so thanks again. The man must have been a workmate of John's , perhaps, as he was a lighter man too.

At least all this Fieldhouse info is of use and can be recycled, as John's brother Seth is also listed on the same roll of honour. (He's an easier task as there is a medal index card and also a more comprehensive service record to work on.) Ditto with another soldier on the roll of honour, who married one of the sisters of John & Seth!

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Wow, love the newspaper report A fascinating read - I'll have to transcribe the article and add it to the profile for John in my Book of Remembrance.

Once again, I'm indebted to you, Elaine.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                  X