"Rob Roy Town" West Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rob Roy Town" West Ham

I know that in the 1850's the area to the west of West Ham was known as "Rob Roy Town" and that the west ham information on historical sites only say "was for a short time" and "reason unknown"

A friend and myself are researching this as part of his tree and we have an idea.
    I know that the society of odd fellows had a lodge nearby in Stratford which used the same name.

We have the opinion that there is a connection to Scotland and the Scottish workers who came down and helped build the Eastern Railway
    The whole area was open fields and marsh, but it could have been a temporary settlement for the workers.
    I have had this in a line in my tree, where he was a bricklayer in Suffolk and the address on the 1861 census has never existed, except the name of the farm area he was in.
    This could be the same case

Can anyone tell be the content of

Essex Herald Essex, England
    21 Nov 1843
    ANNIVERSARY OP THE ROB ROY LODGE OF ODD FELLOWS

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

have emailed you Trevor

Comment

Shame it does not say what anniversary it was, as I hoped to see when they started.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
      X