WD Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD Passport

mine is running out of space is there anything I can do to compress files etc?

I have googled this and the general advice is don't do it.
    This is a reply form the Microsoft support team to a post about the same subject "Compressing your hard drives data does give you more space, however you will see a performance decrease as when the computer needs to access data, it will have to uncompress it first, read/write to it then recompress it."
    Here's a link to another thread on a site called Tomshardware http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...nal-hard-drive

Comment

thanks Galloway , I will have to go through it then and see what I dont need now,

Comment

DON'T DO IT!!!

Over the last few years I have had a number of learners who did just that and their drives started to fail.

Archive to DVD discs file that you do not need to free up space, that's what I do.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I already did and messed up my FTM Tree I have done a full back up so am hoping its sorted now.
          I dont understand how to do that Trevor?

Comment

Working...
          X