Where did Patrick Conboy go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did Patrick Conboy go?

My Gt Grandmother, Bridged Brady nee Conboy's father was Patrick Conboy a Coachman when she married my Gt Grandfather Michael Brady in July 1872 in Rathmines, Co. Dublin. The Marriage Parish records revealed Bridget Conboy’s mother: Marie Stafford

According to the 1901 she's aged 43 and 1911 Census Bridget was aged 54 born in Co. Roscommon.

I've alread found a marriage in 1875 for Anne Conboy who is think must be Bridget's sister.
    Anne Conboy spinster of Full age of 32 Belgrave Rd
    Married Thomas Farnsworth, bachelor, Coal Hewer of 29 Charlmont St
    at the Church of Ireland in the Parish of St. Peter in the City of Dublin.
    Thomas Farnsworth signed his name as JOSEPH FARNSWORTH!
    Anne Conboy’s father was Patrick Conboy, a Coachman

I've been looking at the Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915 and found that Bridget had another sister!

Name: Elizabethum Conboy
    Baptism Age: 0
    Event Type: Baptism
    Birth Date: 1850
    Baptism Date: 28 Jul 1850
    Baptism Place: Elphin, Roscommon, Ireland
    Parish Variants: Creeve, Elphin and Creeve
    Diocese: Elphin
    Father: Patricu Conboy Mother: Maria Stafford

What I can't find is Patrick Conboy marrying Maria/Mary Stafford!

Perhaps one of them died and the remaining spouse re-married? Maybe they emigrated, but can't find anything as yet.

Can anyone help Please? I'm going cross eyed looking for Staffords and Conboys!
    teresa

if i were you, i'd trawl the registers for elphin, ad see if you find anything not indexed. i found two of my relatives not indexed trawling through cratloe, clare. it's also good to pick up variants, wouldn't be surprised if you found a few under "conroy".

Comment

I can see a couple of possible sibs for Bridget although I can't see Bridgets baptism or Ann's

1841 5th December bap Elphin Joannem father Patretti Conboy mother Maria Stafford

1843 20th June bap Elphin ?? Patretti father Patretti Conboy mother Maria Stafford

1850 28th July bap Elphin Elizabethum father Patricu mother Maria

There are some others for Athleague with parents Patrick and Mary but can't be sure of those as there is one with a mother Mary Finnegan.

Not seeing a marriage for Patrick and Mary Stafford unfortunately.

Vera

Comment

I don't think I have found your Patrick - but there may be some connection here in Liverpool - so many Dubliners came over to Liverpool for work - and still do - both my sons married Dublin girls ...
        go to
        This website is for sale! liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

marriages - 5 results for CONBOY
        baptisms - 13 results including 1892 baptism St Michael church ,Liverpool of Rose Ann Conboy - father Patrick Conboy - mother Mary Tuchy ....

as I say I don't think he is your Patrick - but have a look at the Conboy families on that site - you might just recognise another surname related to your search
        good luck
        Last edited by garstonite; 17-08-16, 08:00.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

This is a wild guess, I know there are pockets of Conboys in Cheshire. Around Nantwich etc.

Comment

There’s a gap in the RC marriage registers for Elphin. There are no marriages between 1830 and 1864. (Presumably the records have been lost). That probably explains why you can’t find this marriage.
            Last edited by Elwyn; 17-08-16, 09:13.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              I can see a couple of possible sibs for Bridget although I can't see Bridgets baptism or Ann's

1841 5th December bap Elphin Joannem father Patretti Conboy mother Maria Stafford

1843 20th June bap Elphin ?? Patretti father Patretti Conboy mother Maria Stafford

1850 28th July bap Elphin Elizabethum father Patricu mother Maria

There are some others for Athleague with parents Patrick and Mary but can't be sure of those as there is one with a mother Mary Finnegan.

Not seeing a marriage for Patrick and Mary Stafford unfortunately.

Vera
              Unfortunately for you, there seems to be a gap in the marriage records for Elphin parish from 1830-1864 which would cover the period when Patrick Conboy and Mary/Maria Stafford married.
              As Kyle suggests, it is worth scrolling through the digitised records to see if you can find Conboy baptisms that have either been missed or wrongly transcribed on ancestry or FMP.
              If you haven't got a sub to either, the records for Elphin are freely available from this page:
              This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Christine

I've just seen that Elwyn beat me to it re the gap in the records!
              Last edited by Karamazov; 17-08-16, 10:01.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I will have a look at Liverpool, thanks. Might just throw up some link, you never know!
                teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
                  There’s a gap in the RC marriage registers for Elphin. There are no marriages between 1830 and 1864. (Presumably the records have been lost). That probably explains why you can’t find this marriage.
                  Just my rotten luck!
                  teresa

Comment

I've noticed there are a lot of Conboys in Canada too, but can't see any that might link to the few names I have.
                    teresa

Comment

Working...
                    X