HELP!!! with a difficult record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! with a difficult record

I'm searching for a record and have come up with nothing, I don't know if others could help, I'm trying to find a birth certificate, it might not be possible on the internet, now the record is for my nanna, she was called Nesta Mary Eunice Smith, she was born March 22nd 1931 and died in 2003, and worked in the Elba factory in Swansea, now the difficult part, she was adopted 3 times, her birth surname was Guppy, and I don't know if her forenames were changed after the adoptions.

Are you sure she was adopted three times? That would be extremely unusual and desperately sad. Have you found her on the 1939 register?

Unfortunately there is no legal way to link a birth identity with a new adoptive identity unless you have some personal knowledge. I think it's unlikely her forenames would be changed three times but you never know.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Are you sure she was adopted three times? That would be extremely unusual and desperately sad. Have you found her on the 1939 register?

Unfortunately there is no legal way to link a birth identity with a new adoptive identity unless you have some personal knowledge. I think it's unlikely her forenames would be changed three times but you never know.

OC
      Hi OC, I spoke with my Aunty last night, this is something I never knew, but what I had posted is what she told me, and she also told me she used the Salvation Army find a relative service, and they were no good.

Marcus

Comment

The Salvation Army will not help with matters where adoption is involved.

How do you know her birth name? Were the adoptions within the birth family?

OC

Comment

The Salvation Army will not help with matters where adoption is involved.

How do you know her birth name? Were the adoptions within the birth family?

OC
          I'm not entirely sure how my Aunty and Nanna knew her birth name, but this is what I'm told, and regarding the adoptions, I'm not sure on this, and I can't ask her as she died in 2003.

Marcus

Comment

Can you give any more information, please? You say she worked in Swansea - was she born in Wales?
            Did she have any brothers or sisters? Aunts/uncles?
            What surname did she use when she married and died?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If she was born in 1931, Nesta would have been 8 years old when WW2 started. Perhaps, like many other children, she was evacuated and spent some of her school years boarding out with other families i.e. informally "fostered" rather than adopted.
              Have you seen her marriage certificate to Mr Renzi? You need to check her marital status at the time of this marriage - single, divorced, widowed. Alternatively, the birth certificates of her children should indicate her maiden name.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-08-16, 18:16.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I am seeing that she married as Smith and gave her maiden name as Smith at the birth registration of two of her children.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  Can you give any more information, please? You say she worked in Swansea - was she born in Wales?
                  Did she have any brothers or sisters? Aunts/uncles?
                  What surname did she use when she married and died?

Jay
                  Hi Jay,

I'm not sure about Brothers/Sisters and Aunts/Uncles, but she married a Benito Renzi in 1956, she was Nesta Mary Eunice Smith before marriage and became Renzi, when she died she was still Renzi.

Marcus

Comment

I am seeing that she married as Smith and gave her maiden name as Smith at the birth registration of two of her children.

OC
                    She had 4 children, 2 were Smith 2 were Renzi.

Marcus

Comment

I think you will have to get her marriage certificate to see who she says was her father and hopefully she will be on the 1939 register with him.

Even if she was not with the Smiths in 1939 it will give us somewhere to start. Otherwise it will be impossible.

OC

Comment

Ah, I think I have found her birth mistranscribe. Back in a no!

OC

Comment

Nesta M E GELLY mmn Enoch, Pontypridd Jun Q 1928 11a1092

There is also another birth which might be for the other one you found.

Nesta M E Brett mmn Allen Llandilofawr Mar Q 1928 11a1890.

OC

Comment

Grr,no, scrub that! The Pontypridd Nesta died aged 0. I wonder if they had another though and didn't bother registering her?

OC

Comment

I think you will have to get her marriage certificate to see who she says was her father and hopefully she will be on the 1939 register with him.

Even if she was not with the Smiths in 1939 it will give us somewhere to start. Otherwise it will be impossible.

OC
                              I ordered the marriage certificate yesterday, as I am also trying to trace my grandfather, Benito, as the only record of him is the wedding record, as he's Italian, they don't keep central records, so I may learn alot about both Grandparents.

Comment

I have found a Nesta M E Brett, born in Mar 1928 in Llandilofawr, Monmouthshire, I wonder whether she always believed her name to be Guppy, or if it got mixed up somehow, might not be, but it's worth thinking about isn't it?

Comment

haha, sorry it's the record you mentioned

Comment

I still think that Nesta Gelly is interesting. Gelly and Guppy could look the same at a glance. If she only saw the name written down but didn't hear it, it's quite possible.

OC

Comment

But I thought that one died aged 0 OC?
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes, but they may have had another one and not bothered registering her as the same unusual combination of names was used.

If we can find Nesta on the 1939 that should give her birth date and that will hopefully rule Nesta Brett in or out.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X