Interview My Great-Grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview My Great-Grandmother

Hello I am new to this Forum. I have been doing Genealogy for several years now.

So I am thinking about calling My Great-Grandmother and doing a Genealogy/Family History Interview. She is 90 years old and not doing well health wise over the last few years. Sad truth is she probably has only a couple good years left. I been told by a couple people (My Mom and Great-Aunt) I should ask her some stuff after I had ask some things.
    She is the oldest living person in My Family and the last one who has connection with the Generation of My 2nd and 3rd Great-Grandparents. And she may even be able to help me out with my 3rd Great-Grandparent. We were at her house on her Birthday but there was so many people there and a lot going on. I don't want to regret some day not calling her and asking her some questions or things about her family and other Genealogy related questions. she know I been doing Research on My Genealogy including her Family Ancestry.
    Thing is I am not sure exactly what to ask? I know the more basic of course like her Marriages, Parents, Kids Births, etc,. What would be some good questions to ask?

Originally posted by USAGenealogyFan View Post
    Hello I am new to this Forum. I have been doing Genealogy for several years now.

So I am thinking about calling My Great-Grandmother and doing a Genealogy/Family History Interview. She is 90 years old and not doing well health wise over the last few years. Sad truth is she probably has only a couple good years left. I been told by a couple people (My Mom and Great-Aunt) I should ask her some stuff after I had ask some things.
    She is the oldest living person in My Family and the last one who has connection with the Generation of My 2nd and 3rd Great-Grandparents. And she may even be able to help me out with my 3rd Great-Grandparent. We were at her house on her Birthday but there was so many people there and a lot going on. I don't want to regret some day not calling her and asking her some questions or things about her family and other Genealogy related questions. she know I been doing Research on My Genealogy including her Family Ancestry.
    Thing is I am not sure exactly what to ask? I know the more basic of course like her Marriages, Parents, Kids Births, etc,. What would be some good questions to ask?
    I would have some old photos to hand to prompt memories. Asking questions doesn't always get the desired result, you need to get her to reminisce and in doing that she will talk about people who you can then ask about eg what their relationship was, where they lived, what they did, were they married, did they have children, who were the children? and so on.

Ask for information about what happened during her life, where and who she went to school with etc.

This should be a conversation where you take notes - tell her why you are doing that.

Good luck.
    Margaret

Comment

Will you be able to go and see her or only talk on the phone? As Margaret says questions along the lines of "Do you remember when ...." rather than "Who was my 3rd great grandfather?" will enable a conversation to flow. If at all possible it would be good if you can go and see her and maybe arrange a second visit, which she would probably look forward to.
      Anne

Comment

go along with what others have said , I have an old aunt who suddenly comes alive when I mention a member of the family and tells me all sorts she seems to have forgotten if I ask her.

Comment

I would ask her what she remembers about her grandparents - where did they live, did she visit their home.
          How did your grandmother celebrate Christmas as a child - what did they eat at Christmas dinner, what were the favorite smells of the cooking (scent memories are good at evoking more memories). What did she get for Christmas presents.

Open ended questions, uninterrupted flowing thoughts - start a topic, then let her talk.

I'd use a recorder.

Comment

You need to verify whether or not what she says is correct. When you find differences between what she knows and information you have obtained from other sources, see is she can resolve the differences.

Yes, some of things she will recall will be wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X