Does anyone know German?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know German?

Trying to translate a German marriage cert. There is an entry for 'Trautag', which is followed by a date.

Online translators don't recognise the word, but literally it could be 'maid day' (Trau = maid, tag = day).

Any idea what this means? The date is not the one I expected for the marriage, although it is the same year.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

my German-English dictionary translates trautag as wedding day
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith.

My dictionary says wedding day is Hochzeitstag!
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
        Thanks Judith.

My dictionary says wedding day is Hochzeitstag!
        Yes mine gives wedding day or wedding anniversary for Hochzeitstag
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
          Trying to translate a German marriage cert. There is an entry for 'Trautag', which is followed by a date.

Online translators don't recognise the word, but literally it could be 'maid day' (Trau = maid, tag = day).

Any idea what this means? The date is not the one I expected for the marriage, although it is the same year.
          Could the month and day be the opposite way round Pete? I know that some countries do it that way.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My wife speaks German and says that "trauen" means to grieve. So trautag is a day of grief, or something along those lines. Could one of the parties have been a widow(er) and this be the date that their previous spouse died?
            Last edited by Elwyn; 07-08-16, 18:23.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Just asked my daughter who lives in Germany with her German partner and she said

mourning after a death

day of mourning = trauertag
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hmmm, that seems strange. I have two files, one from a death register and the other from a marriage register (or so I have been told). They are for the same woman, Maria Saettele (nee Mueller).

Can anyone make head or tail?
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Just asked my daughter...

The first link death reg Maria

The first row is the name of the person who died.... she was born 1803 DOD 1843
                  Next row spouse's details

Second link....Lorenz

Marriage certificate for them

23 ? 1832

Groom born 5 Aug 1799
                  Bride born 1803
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

The line that has the marriage date (which I think is 23 February 1832, written in Sütterlin), is the one labelled 'Trautag'.
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

How about contacting hankol

he is more familiar with the old German and may be able to help
                      Elaine

Comment

I don't speak German but one of the meanings of 'trauen' is 'marry' whereas 'trauer' is 'mourn'. If you google 'trautag' a lot of sites come up offering to arrange weddings so I think it's safe to 'assume' it's the marriage date.
                        Glen

Comment

Trauung is German for a wedding, The top of the marriage page says "Auszug aus dem Trauregister" or excerpt from the marriage register. In this case it is definitely referring to the wedding day which is 23 Hornung 1832. Hornung is Old High German for February, so 23 February 1832.
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The various boxes, going down the page of the marriage certificate are
                            Groom- name, christian name, marital status, religion, profession, age (birth date), place of birth, more details etc
                            Date of marriage
                            Bride - Maiden name, then same as for Groom
                            Grooms parents - names, maiden name of mother, christian names, profession, place of residence, details of death etc
                            Brides parents - same as above
                            Other important information for the record.

I can't decipher a lot of the writing however.
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I had managed to translate most of the printed text, it was just the word for marriage date that wasn't coming up on online translators.

Most of the writing I have managed to translate because it is information I already have, this is just official confirmation.

Only problem to sort out now is that Maria seems to have had 2 children after her death, but that's another story!
                              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
                              X