Unknown marriage of a Marine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown marriage of a Marine

I have been tracing my great uncle James Lawrence Alderson a Royal Marine in the 2nd WW. As far as I am aware he lived at home and was single. However when I came across the Common Wealth war graves and found that he had died on 1st June 1940. It stated his father and mothers names but then lists a wife, a Dorothy May Evelyn Alderson. As far as I or any other member of the family know he never married.

His wife was born Chambers and married a Frederick Robert Randoll in 1930 I think they may have had children. At some time it appears she married my JL Alderson which could only have been between 1938-39 or 1940. Later on in the 1950s she married a William G Cornhill and is stated as surname Alderson. I am in the process of ordering their marriage documents. But I cannot find her marriage to JL Alderson anywhere at all. I was thinking that the Common Wealth War Graves had got it wrong but then found her marriage in the 50s stating her surname as Alderson.

Where would I find divorce papers for her first marriage? And why can I not find a marriage certificate?

have you tried looking through the 1939 census records? what year was James born so I have an idea what year she was born

Comment

found her in 1939 hang on

Comment

Yes Dorothy is in the 1939 register surname Cornhill (3rd marriage in 1950) and next to that is (Randoll) 1st marriage!! She was born 1913 Kent and JL was born in 1908 Clapham. Abbeville Road. I do not understand why she uses Cornhill in 1939 register as it should be Randoll or Alderson surely.
        In the 1939 electoral role JL Alderson is in the absent from home list.

Comment

They have updated the records to include any married names she may have had, so as they dont mention Alderson sounds like they never married.

Comment

I'm a bit confused by the CWGC records. Although the citation says "husband of Dorothy Cornhill (formerly Alderson), of Strood, Rochester, Kent." if you look at the online archive document lower down on the page it says "husband of P Alderson of Strood"
            Jackie

Comment

In 1939 she listed herself as Dorothy May Randoll - her married name at the time - whether widowed or not.
              Her Maiden name would not be there.
              She must have married/lived with James Lawrence Alderson between the 1939 date of the register and his 1 June 1940 death.
              After she married Cornhill the register was updated on 1 feb 1951 with her new name presumably when she used the NHS - doctor or hospital visit.
              The register will not show other name changes between the start of the register in 1939 and the inauguration of NHS 1948.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thats interesting Kat I didn't know that , and Jackie yes it confused me too , I was thinking maybe his father remarried?

Comment

Yes Night Owl that is what i thought someone had suggested it was a typo or a nick name!!
                  I had not known that about the 1939 register - how interesting and very useful but only if you know that info!!! lol I guess it teaches me to read about what I am actually reading!!
                  It is still a little strange as when she marries in 1950 she uses Alderson. The marriage certificate will arrive next week so maybe it will shed some light on it! Or not!

Sue

Comment

Not strange to be using the Alderson surname in 1950. If she was in a serious relationship with James and had mourned his death she would have wanted to be known by his surname and so had probably lived with this surname for ten years. She would have had no need to prove a marriage to him when she married in 1950, just to give the name she was known by.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith
                      Yes I agree but the family know nothing about her at all, so it is a mystery as to who she was and also it would be lovely to find any children that came from this relationship. Also James lived at home in Abbeville road with his mother and step father so when did he get to meet this woman, and why did she have no contact with the family after the war, it is all very strange. I have sent off for his military records so maybe they will unlock some more answers.

Sue

Comment

The wording on the Commonwealth War Graves lists did come (I hope I'm right in this) from the family themselves. It maybe that the mystery bride herself gave the information? It clearly did not reach the lists until after 1950 when she married. As pointed out before, she seems to be listed as 'P Alderson' in the book image on the CWG website. Is that the name his parents knew her by? Or did she also give that information. I'm not sure of the date of the grave register books, but must have been before 1950 as her surname is Alderson.
                        Anne
                        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 06-08-16, 07:32.

Comment

Hi Anne

I have been in contact with them and they say the information came from a P Alderson. I must admit I have not gone into the grave list in detail yet as I wanted to get as much info in case it is incorrect. I am in contact with a family member who was very close to James's mother and he maintains that she never mentioned a wife and also that he lived at home as a single man. All my research so far had backed this theory up, so I was amazed to find her marriage in 1950 using the surname Alderson. Of course I realise that it was a very uncertain time and that it is feasible they just had an affair and they either married or lived together for a short time without the family knowing. But obviously I have come this far and cannot let it go now. lol.
                          I think the 'P' could be a typo, but once I have more info I will contact them to sort it out.

Comment

Just having a wild guess, death reg has birth as 13 March 1913 and there is this baptism

First name(s) Dorothy May Evelyn
                            Last name Chambers
                            Baptism year 1913
                            Baptism date 20 Apr 1913
                            Relationship d
                            Father's first name(s) Henry John
                            Father's last name Chambers
                            Mother's first name(s) Daisy Verbena
                            Mother's last name Chambers
                            Parent's occupation Labourer
                            Residence Ryarsh
                            Dedication St Martins
                            Place Ryarsh, St Martins
                            County Kent
                            Country England
                            Entry 178
                            Record set Kent Baptisms
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Sorry, just realised she married as Chambers 1930
                              Last edited by Elaine; 06-08-16, 19:23.
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine

Yes it must be as she was born in Ryarsh, thanks.

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                Just having a wild guess, death reg has birth as 13 March 1913 and there is this baptism

First name(s)  Dorothy May Evelyn
                                Last name Chambers
                                Baptism year 1913
                                Baptism date 20 Apr 1913
                                Relationship d
                                Father's first name(s) Henry John
                                Father's last name Chambers
                                Mother's first name(s)  Daisy Verbena
                                Mother's last name Chambers
                                Parent's occupation Labourer
                                Residence Ryarsh
                                Dedication St Martins
                                Place Ryarsh, St Martins
                                County Kent
                                Country England
                                Entry 178
                                Record set Kent Baptisms

Comment

Why not order up his service record? There may well be information regarding his marital status.

Comment

Originally posted by highland ranger View Post
                                    Why not order up his service record? There may well be information regarding his marital status.
                                    Because I don't think they have been found yet.
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It is done

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                      Because I don't think they have been found yet.
                                      I have sent the request off last week so hopefully I will have some info soon. I have just recieved Dorothy's marriage certificate for her marriage in 1950, which only stated her as a widow and surname as Alderson. Maybe the marriage documents got lost. It would be nice to know if any children came from it though.

Comment

so you have ordered his army records, trouble is they are taking months now.
                                        Last edited by Guest; 12-08-16, 15:33.

Comment

Working...
                                        X