Good Lord!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Lord!

I have just found details for a chap on my Tree. He had 3 wives and he had 3 wives all at the same time, give a year or two between marriages - have got to six children so far - 2 each I think.
    He died in 1916 - his wives outlived him poor chap - he died of Heart Failure.
    They all lived in Salt Lake City so were probably, almost certainly, Mormons.
    I had no idea that Mormons were allowed multiple wives - ?are they. Sue

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
    They all lived in Salt Lake City so were probably, almost certainly, Mormons.
    I had no idea that Mormons were allowed multiple wives - ?are they. Sue
    They were until the revelation (search 1890 to find it)

You should be able to find out plenty about him, including on Ancestry and on FamilySearch

Comment

Although polygamy is illegal in the US and is not officially recognized by the Mormon church, there are still a few Fundamentalists who practise it. What amazes me most about this is that they can find women who are happy to go along with it!

OC

Comment

I've got one of those on my tree too - he had 4 wives, and a total of 16 children, but only 2 of the wives had children. He was jailed for polygamy. He was one of the earliest Mormons, helping to found Utah, and there is loads about him on the web - very helpful. One of his Grandsons married one of the Granddaughters of Brigham Young, the founder of Mormonism.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hi
          A really good book to read if you can get hold of a copy is "These Latter Days" by Laura Kalpakian. Although a work of fiction it does give an insight into the Mormon way of life.
          Moggie
          Last edited by maudarby; 04-08-16, 07:35.

Comment

As a mere man, what amazes me is how he could cope with more than one.
            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

There was an American TV show called Big Love, staring Bill Paxton. He had 3 wives, it was quite watchable and I enjoyed it.

Last edited by larkspur; 04-08-16, 13:46.

Comment

Webwiz, I am not sure he did cope very well - I have only found 6 children so far. The poor chap gave up and died. They all outlived him!

Sue

Comment

That's one way of escaping I suppose.
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

There are still a lot of Mormons who practise polygamy .............. they ten to be called the Fundamentalists.

Some still live in Salt Lake City, and environs, but other live in a couple of cities on the Utah border.

We even had a community in BC that practise polygamy, including marrying underage girls to older men. They are closely connected to the communities in the US. Google 'bountiful, bc, canada" for more information

The BC and Canadian governments have been trying to bring the eladers of that community to court for years .............. but our constitution has a "right to religious freedom" in it, and the men have so far been successful in either defeating or postponing for long periods.

Also google Warren Jeffs ............... the former President of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and a convicted felon currently serving a sentence of life plus 20 years.
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

"Mormon fundamentalists seek to uphold tenets and practices no longer held by mainstream Mormons (members of the LDS Church)." [emphasis added] from this wikipedia article:

Of course, one of the early splinters in the Mormon church was against polygamy:

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                        "Mormon fundamentalists seek to uphold tenets and practices no longer held by mainstream Mormons (members of the LDS Church)." [emphasis added] from this wikipedia article:

Of course, one of the early splinters in the Mormon church was against polygamy:
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

They are separate from the Mormon Church as it exists today, that's why they're called the FLDS .... but they maintain that they have the right to plural "wives", and to live life as once prescribed by the LDS. The big claim of course is that both the US and Canada guarantee the right to religious freedom, and this is what they base their defense on when taken to court.

Warren Jeffs got caught on child abuse ............. both for marrying underage girls and having sex with them and for marrying other men to underage girls, and for "trafficking" underage girls to Canada.

The 2 men currently trying to avoid appearing in court in Canada are being charged under similar rules, including "importing" underage girls into Canada in order for them to marry older men, and for sending underage girls into the US to the communities that Warren Jeffs ruled, and in fact still does from prison although he is not supposed t be doing so.

Bountiful has actually split into 2 .............. one leader and his supporters support Warren Jeffs, the other leader and his group do not support Jeffs.
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                        X