Searching census by address on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching census by address on Ancestry

Could anyone remind me how to search a census collection by address only . I'm sure I've done it before but I can't narrow down the search for some reason so I'm getting millions of results and I do mean that literally ! I just want to know who lived in my great grandparents house before they lived there in the early 1900's. I've recently found out their house was already there in 1795 and I always thought it was Victorian ! Thanks in advance
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

I did not know you could do that on ancestry

Comment

I don't know about searching by address only but if you know the details for your grandparents records eg. parish and enumeration district you should be able to browse the relevant years using that as a start point. The first page of any enumeration district is always a description of what streets are included so you would need to look at each of those to find the right start point and then scroll throguh the pages to find the address you seek.

bear in mind though that over time addresses have changed and the amount of detail was very much less in 1841 than it is now. For example the village where I used to live simply has a list of names for 1841 with very few actual houses being identified - it was only in later years that house names and streets with numbers started to be used.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Vallee and Margaret , I thought I'd done it on Ancestry but now I'm wondering if it was Find my past on one of their free weekends . I'll try the browsing the district first , it's pouring with rain here so I may have some time to kill !

Liz

Comment

There is a method that may shorten your search if you have the family on another census.

Look at the neighbours, and search for them on the census in question; there is a chance they could still be at the same address which will get you to an image for somewhere in the neighbourhood, reducing the number of images you have to browse through.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

I think you do this in a round about way on ancestry. You must pick the year and also pick the Scotland or England or whatever section first. Then choose the town. If there is no address field you can put the street name in the keyword box. I have had success with this sometimes but not others.

Comment

Thanks Pete and Galloway . I'll have a go at that . I don't mind browsing through but 15000000 was a bit too much !
              Liz

Comment

Shame it can't be done easily. It could be very interesting.

Comment

Hi congletonian, I can search the Census by Address, let me know the detail and which Census and I will see what I can do.

Robert

Comment

Can you put that method on here please Robert?
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Katarzyna, It is not on Ancestry, and I cant say where for obvious reasons, but I will do a look up if any body wants it.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by maesglasssclub View Post
                        Hi Katarzyna, It is not on Ancestry, and I cant say where for obvious reasons, but I will do a look up if any body wants it.

Robert
                        You need to take care that you are not breaking the Terms and Conditions of any sites you offer lookups for.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by maesglasssclub View Post

Robert
                          Ahh! Not Ancestry then. Wish someone would come up with a method
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

As far as I'm aware only 1881 and 1911 have an option to search by road name in the keyword box on Ancestry. You can find some other years here

This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Your_Archives:Historical_Streets_Project looked like on 31 Dec 1900 at 23:59:59
                            Jackie

Comment

Working...
                            X