Find My Past - am I being dim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past - am I being dim?

Having recently taken out a sub to Find My Past, primarily for the 1939 register I am now having to use it for everything now my Ancestry sub has expired.

Is there a way to search the census by birthplace? I seem only to be able to search by the location where the person is living.

If you click on the general census link under the All categories: Census, land & surveys, you can use the optional keywords to do it.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Must admit that I don't like FMP for anything much apart the 1939 Register, for mostly everything else I use The Genealogist which seems to give me much better results and does have a filter where you can put 'Keywords'.
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Must admit that I don't like FMP for anything much apart the 1939 Register, for mostly everything else I use The Genealogist which seems to give me much better results and does have a filter where you can put 'Keywords'.
        See above!!

Although I have a sub to The Genealogist, I never use it for census returns - mainly because their variant surnames are dreadful/non-existent. I use it for Tithes, and non-conformist records.
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
          If you click on the general census link under the All categories: Census, land & surveys, you can use the optional keywords to do it.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resul...ywords=farnham
          Ah - thankyou Caroline, I need to get to grips with the different way of doing things, got a bit set in my ways!

Comment

If you go to the A to Z index (bottom of the dropdown search menu) you can put individual cencus years in and get a huge search form with everything you might want on it. The A to Z index is good for parish searches too.

I find its swings and roundabouts with FMP and Ancestry. I like the way in FMP you can get a complete list of suggested persons for all the densus years if you want. This is good if the person has an uncommon name. However the lack of birthplace search on that screen is very annoying. With mistranscriptions I find I can usually get the one I want by using both Ancestry and FMP. I think FMP are marginally better at transcriptions than Ancestry. The fact that they don't offer you wild suggestions is good too, although I have quite often gone right down the list of wild suggestions on Ancestry and found my target.
            Anne

Comment

Ooops, sorry about random spellings!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Ooops, sorry about random spellings!!
                You should see mine sometimes but I have loads of time to go back and edit ....

For parish records, I make use of the keywords box as well after I've added the record sets that I want to look at. I tend to start with FMP and then go to Ancestry second - if only they would let us sort the columns on Ancestry and stop moving the sliders back to Broad!!!! It also depends on which county/record set I need of course.
                Caroline

Comment

Working...
                X