Trying to find old picture of a demolished pub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find old picture of a demolished pub

I am trying to find an image of a pub called the Red Lion that was at 140 Balaam Street, Plaistow London E13.
    I know it has been demolished, but a long trawl of the 'net has been blank in finding an image.
    Does anyone have access to the newspaper archives, who could see if there was any advertisements with their image?
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 31-07-16, 20:38.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

found a few articles but no image as yet are you interested in any of the articles if soChelmsford Chronicle 7 Jan 1938.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
      I am trying to find an image of a pub called the Red Lion that was at 140 Balaam Street, Plaistow London E13.
      I know it has been demolished, but a long trawl of the 'net has been blank in finding an image.
      Does anyone have access to the newspaper archives, who could see if there was any advertisements with their image?
      I haven't located an image but if you haven't already done so, you could try searching under its other names as given in the link below
      pub,public house,inn,tavern,old inn,old tavern,camra,brewery,brewing,real ale,beer,lager,publican,beer festival,closed pub,defunct pub,lost pub,old pub,pub photos,old pub photos,pub history

Christine

Update - just found this image:
      Formerly the Phantom and Firkin and the Red Lion and owned by Wessex Inns. Closed Nov 96. Now (2002) demolished.

Some more info here:

And appositely given that you've posted this query on a family history search it turns out 140 Balaam Street is now the address for Barnardos Making Connections!
      Last edited by Karamazov; 31-07-16, 22:21. Reason: Update
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Have a look here to see if the one you want is featured https://www.google.es/search?q=histo...w=1455&bih=705

Loads of Local History Societies for East London if you enter that as a search in google. Any would be able to help I'm sure.

Also this one http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/LondonPubIndex.shtml

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 01-08-16, 18:42.

Comment

Thanks Christine,
          That is the image I was looking for, I did not know it had been renamed a final time before it was demolished.
          Formerly the Phantom and Firkin and the Red Lion and owned by Wessex Inns. Closed Nov 96. Now (2002) demolished.

I lived in Balaam Street for a long time and a couple of people and myself are creating a 'then and now' type document of the street.

Trev

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
          X