Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Gallagher died Manhattan 24th October 1912

message withdrawn
    Last edited by City Hall; 25-07-16, 12:45.

Presume you've got it sorted.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
      Presume you've got it sorted.
      Thanks for asking.
      No JBee, I posted information on someone who is still alive,realised what I had done, panicked, and deleted the whole message.I will post again shortly.

Paul.

Comment

OK, but FYI - both FamilySearch and Ancestry have the index for NYC death certs. FS transcribed most of the details.

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily. I have found the record of his death on Familysearch. I tried to attach it to this reply but failed.
          Main details are
          James Gallagher address 351 West 30th Street Manhattan
          died 1912, 24th October. aged 32. marital status single. Father: Hugh Gallagher Mother: Bridget Hanlon.

The only other record I was able to find shows him boarding with 2 of his brothers at 189 West 15th Street Manhattan on the 1910 US census.
          I was hoping someone might be able to locate a death notice, or obituary notice or anything else really.

Thanks.
          Paul.

Comment

Ancestry has NY Times BMD Announcements - they're painful to search, but it's not offering me a match for that DOD time frame

For anyone who's looking, here's a link to the DC on FS:

Do you know anything about his parents or sibs? Did they immigrate, too? What was his father's occupation?
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 26-07-16, 00:58.

Comment

Hi Photofamily.

Yes, James' parents were Hugh Gallagher and Bridget (Hanlon) Gallagher. His father was a farmer and his mother a farmer's wife.
              Most of his siblings, Hannah, Susan, Mary and Patrick stayed in Ireland but the two brothers he was boarding with at 189 West 15th Street Manhattan on the 1910 US census were called Hugh (junior) and John. John settled in New York and Hugh settled in Bridgeport,Connecticut.
              One interesting snippet I have picked up about his brother John(New York) is that he had a patent for a metal bending machine!!

Regards.
              Paul.

Comment

When I explored possibilities last night, I found many James Gallaghers just in the NYC area. Tough nut to crack. Not sure if there would be any records of the fire dept. Without the DC, we don't know if he died in the line of duty. If he did, perhaps there would be an article in the NY Times about his death that didn't appear in Ancestry's Historical Newspapers (not sure!). NY directories might be useful. What more did you want to know about him?

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily, I suppose I was hoping to find a death notice, or obit, or maybe a photo of his last resting place.

Paul.

Comment

The DC transcription says he was buried in Calvary Cemetery. This is probably it in Findagrave:
                    To have photo requests fulfilled successfully, the plot information is required. The cemetery office will not provide this information to photo volunteers....

I do not find him among the James Gallaghers that already have memorial pages
                    The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. Memorials in Calvary Cemetery, a Find a Grave.

The cemetery's page on Finadagrave says that you'll need to contact the office to find the location of the grave. Then create a memorial page, post the location, and request a photo. Keep your fingers crossed that someone will stop by and take your photo for you.

Any indication what church they attended? Perhaps the church would have a remembrance book of its members. NY Times obits were pretty much just death/funeral notices, in my experience. I haven't been able to identify a newspaper that was local to Manhattan, but you could try nosing around the public library and see if they have any info.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-07-16, 00:30.

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily, thank you very much for all your help. I took your advice. I rang the Cemetery office, got the exact location of the grave,posted a memorial on Find a Grave which included the grave reference, and have activated the 'photo request' facility.
                      Now I just have to wait and hope some kind person takes a photo of the grave/headstone and uploads it onto my memorial page.

Thanks again.
                      Regards.
                      Paul.

Comment

Great! If you get a volunteer to snap the photo, you might try asking the volunteer where you can find an obit - sometimes I've had good luck with that.

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily,
                          I just thought I would post an update in case you are (in the least bit) interested.
                          A kind volunteer 'claimed' my photo request very quickly and has now posted 2 high quality photos. I was concerned that he would visit the plot and find no marker of any sort, but as he said,there is a very nice headstone in situ.
                          There are a few James Gallaghers buried in Calvary cemetery in NY but mine is the one who died in 1912.
                          Of course,as is often the case, every answer raises another question.Although James died in 1912, and therefore the plot is 'his',so to speak,the main interments are for a family called Fitzpatrick who died at a much later date. I am fairly sure it was their family who put up the headstone, but as James died young(ish) and single,and I am not aware of any relatives called Fitzpatrick, I am puzzled as to how they came to be buried in James's plot.

Regards.
                          Paul.

Comment

You said you knew James' siblings - what about aunts and uncles? Do any of the Fitzpatricks fit a Gallagher woman who married a Fitzpatrick? But immigrants frequently stuck together, and they simply have known the family and sold a grave to the Gallaghers from their larger family plot. Or perhaps he was engaged to a Fitzpatrick... Lots to speculate about!

Comment

I have a relative buried in a plot purchased by a family he was friendly with, no relation at all, I was puzzled as to why he would want to be buried there? and not with his parents at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                I have a relative buried in a plot purchased by a family he was friendly with, no relation at all...
                                that you know of ;)
                                Wish I knew who the woman and child are that are buried w/ my g'g'grandparents. I have a feeling that the woman may be one of their children that I can't identify, or one of their grandchildren - plus the child she gave birth to.

Paul, it might be helpful to pull the DC. It would give you COD and informant. If he did die in the line of duty, it might be possible to find an article in a newspaper. I think you can borrow the film from FHL for a small fee.
                                But maybe they were just family friends or cousins.
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-08-16, 04:07.

Comment

Hi Val, my uncle left instructions to be buried in a plot other than the family plot. He said the ground where the family plot was situated was too wet and marshy, and he wanted buried further up the hillside in drier soil.

Hi PhotoFamily, my aunt, who is a niece of James Gallagher, says he caught pneumonia and died of complications resulting from it. Although James's occupation was given as fireman, I think it must have been a job other than employment with FDNY. I think I would have heard if he was a member of 'New York's bravest'.
                                  Thanks again for all your help and encourangement.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                  X