Signing into both gmail and this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing into both gmail and this site

Over the last two or three weeks I have had to log into my Gmail account most days with my user name and password.

I have a ' tick ' in the box for my user name to remain so the I only need enter my password. Why has this changed?

This also happens on this site now and I find it a nightmare remembering all passwords all of the time

This is only on my Windows 7 laptop but my Android tablet touch wood is OK.

Any ideas please?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Do you use CCleaner? It will remove your cookies that keep you signed in unless you instruct it not to.
    Anne

Comment

I have a version of CCleaner on my Laptop but at our computer group we were advised not to use it, not sure why. Anyway it is an old version so I will uninstall it for now. I was able to go onto Gmail tonight but not this site.

Maybe it is working in the background but cannot see that it is active.

Thank you very much.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

If you have updated your browser, then it may have rubbed out your cookies for you. Keep an eye out for the little messages that ask if you want the password to be remembered.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline, I have just had to sign into this sight now. The box is ticked 'remember me' (maybe it does not like me). I have not change my browser since 2013 as far as I can see I think that it is IE 10. It is OK now on all other sites.
          Thank you for your comments on the other thread.
          While this laptop works it will have to stay with windows 7 I have a friend who still uses XP.
          Thank you for your interest.
          Last edited by Margaret N; 26-07-16, 22:40.
          Margaret N

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
            Caroline, I have just had to sign into this sight now. The box is ticked 'remember me' (maybe it does not like me). I have not change my browser since 2013 as far as I can see I think that it is IE 10. It is OK now on all other sites.
            Thank you for your comments on the other thread.
            While this laptop works it will have to stay with windows 7 I have a friend who still uses XP.
            Thank you for your interest.
            This link will take you to the latest version of IE10 for Windows 7.
            Internet Explorer 10 free download. Get the latest version now. The world’s most popular web browser. A new browser that just might amaze you.

Are you using a favourite/bookmark to log in from? If so, your best bet will be to delete that one and log in from the Home Page of the site, tick the box and then save a new favourite/bookmark.

No matter which operating system you use, you need to keep it and your browser up to date or you could well find that sites stop working. By the way, in the other thread, you said that you will go with Apple next time - they also stop supporting operating systems etc. - my daughter had a MacBookAir which just stppped working after 4 years and is not repairable and then they stopped supporting the older iMac desktop OS she had when it was 5 years old - she kept using it until the software she needs would no longer work once that upgraded itself -that included the browser! And they are not as cheap to replace as Windows machines ...
            Caroline
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hello Caroline,
              Thank you for the email by using the direct link that you provided for me I logged in straight away. Touch wood, I hope that it lasts I know that it has to be my PC that is the problem as I can log in from my Tablet, not that I use it a lot.
              I will reply to your email either tonight or tomorrow.
              Margaret N

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                Hello Caroline,
                Thank you for the email by using the direct link that you provided for me I logged in straight away. Touch wood, I hope that it lasts I know that it has to be my PC that is the problem as I can log in from my Tablet, not that I use it a lot.
                I will reply to your email either tonight or tomorrow.
                Glad to help - and very glad you got in!!
                Caroline

Comment

Working...
                X