George Crump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Crump

Hi everyone, I am a new member to this site and would very much appreciate any help you can give me. I am researching the above person for a very close friend of mine. I do n ot have an awful amount of information as to this person but I can only state what is known, although again this is sceptical. I am researching a George Crump who was possibly a plastic surgeon/cosmetic surgeon at Guys hospital in London sometime in the late 1940s. I believe he wrote an article either in the British Medical Journal or the Lancet circa 1965-1975 with regard to plastic surgery on the face (again this is supposition). Sadly this is all the information I have to go on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation.

do you know where and when he was born ?

Comment

George Crump

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      do you know where and when he was born ?
      Hi Val - thank you for replying. I am assuming that he was born in London circa 1920-1930 - he may have just been training as a surgeon/consultant during that time. Not a lot of help I know but thanks.
      Regards Penny

Comment

He isnt showing up on ancestry's list of doctors from general medical council 1859-1959 sorry.
        Angelina

Comment

Nothing found by Googling so far
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            Nothing found by Googling so far
            Anne
            Just been doing the same, Anne......no luck with me either.
            Jacky

Comment

shame we dont know where he was born could at least find him in 1939 might help

Comment

How did you or your friend get the information that you do have?

Is it possible that he had another forename that he used?

I think it is possible to make some assumptions .............

If he was a practising plastic or cosmetic surgeon in the late 1940s at Guy's, and was writing papers on facial reconstruction or plastic surgery in ca 1965-75, then it is more probable that he was born as early as 1890 and not later than 1910 ............... the training for a plastic surgeon came on in leaps and bounds after WW1 but most especially after WW2. But training to become a surgeon takes a long time, and I think that most surgeons practising in the 1940s would have been in their late 30s to 40s.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                  How did you or your friend get the information that you do have?

Is it possible that he had another forename that he used?

I think it is possible to make some assumptions .............

If he was a practising plastic or cosmetic surgeon in the late 1940s at Guy's, and was writing papers on facial reconstruction or plastic surgery in ca 1965-75, then it is more probable that he was born as early as 1890 and not later than 1910 ............... the training for a plastic surgeon came on in leaps and bounds after WW1 but most especially after WW2. But training to become a surgeon takes a long time, and I think that most surgeons practising in the 1940s would have been in their late 30s to 40s.
                  Like Sylvia, I think birth could well be earlier than circa 1920. No help, I'm afraid, but there is no entry for him on http://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk (Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons).

Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 25-07-16, 11:34.
                  Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

George Crump

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                    Like Sylvia, I think birth could well be earlier than circa 1920. No help, I'm afraid, but there is no entry for him on http://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk (Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons).

Christine
                    Hi Everyone - thank you all for trying to help. My friend's mother told her that George Crump was a doctor/surgeon etc and my friend remembers her mother reading an article in a magazine circa 1960s about facial surgery. Unfortunately her mother died a few years ago now. I myself have found aGeorge F Crump who married in Dec 1910 at Westminster so it is possible this is the person she is trying to find out about. I also have scrolled through the Lancet for the 1960s but have not found any article by him. Thank you all so much again for trying.

Regards Penny

Comment

There ARE several doctors and surgeons, including a couple of plastic surgeons with the surname Crump, but not a George .......... which is why I asked if he might have had another forename that he used.
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

The George Crump who married in 1910 was a bank clerk.

Comment

Originally posted by penny2149 View Post
                          Hi Everyone - thank you all for trying to help. My friend's mother told her that George Crump was a doctor/surgeon etc and my friend remembers her mother reading an article in a magazine circa 1960s about facial surgery. Unfortunately her mother died a few years ago now. I myself have found aGeorge F Crump who married in Dec 1910 at Westminster so it is possible this is the person she is trying to find out about. I also have scrolled through the Lancet for the 1960s but have not found any article by him. Thank you all so much again for trying.

Regards Penny
                          An article in a magazine may not have been written by a surgeon but a reporter who was interested in that topic.

What is you friend's relationship to George Crump could we not start with more recent information so we can work back.

Starting with living people (not to be mentioned on here) is usually how a family tree is constructed rather than starting with just a name and trying to come forwards from that.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            An article in a magazine may not have been written by a surgeon but a reporter who was interested in that topic.

What is you friend's relationship to George Crump could we not start with more recent information so we can work back.

Starting with living people (not to be mentioned on here) is usually how a family tree is constructed rather than starting with just a name and trying to come forwards from that.

Margaret
                            Hi Margaret
                            Thank you for your reply. My friend grew up believing that the person named as her dad on her birth certificate was her dad. Sadly and selfishly (I think) her mum informed her before she passed away a few years ago that he wasn't her father and her real dad was called George Crump and worked as a doctor at Guys Hospital in London. Other than that she refused to tell her anything else other than he was married. That's why we are finding it difficult to trace him but I told her that I would give it a go but alas nothing is really forthcoming. Thank you for trying to help. I think we may well have to give up.

Penny

Comment

Possibly George Crump was not telling the truth when he said he worked as a DOCTOR at Guys? He could have been working there in some other capacity, maybe.

To get a better handle on the ages, can you tell us when your friend's mother was born? I would guess a married George Crump would be at least a bit older (and perhaps a lot) than she was. Certainly unlikely to have been younger. Was your friend born before or after the marriage of her mother to the person she thought was her father? What year was your friend born?

Anne

Comment

I know its no fat help but found this link for a Sister Audrey Crump who worked at Guys hospital from 1943.
                                Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                X