Occupation on Cert maybe wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation on Cert maybe wrong

I have got myself bogged down by somebodies records I have been trying to find other than his marriage in 1882 Islington I have nothing, a Printer on marriage but am wondering is it possible he was a painter and it got misheard ? as I can not find a printer with his name anywhere after 1882.
    Name is luckily for me William Brown ,Father same name a Bricklayer

I cannot leave him alone and its driving me crazy, anyone have any suggestions thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 20-07-16, 20:19.

Have you got his actual marriage certificate, or are you going by the image on ancestry?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is he the one who married Ann Elizabeth Wallis?

Both aged 23, so born ca 1859
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

must admit I did not bother to send for cert as thought the one on ancestry good enough ?:(
        Yes Sylvia thats him
        Last edited by Guest; 20-07-16, 20:57.

Comment

well, I agree, it certainly does look like Printer on that image, no doubt about it. I'm not sure that the actual cert would be any clearer.

Have you found a William Brown who is a Painter?

Comment

I have seen printer and painter confused before. A badly written or faint a becomes r very easily, in my experience.

OC

Comment

I looked for Ann Elizabeth ............ and found an Ann E Wallis, Sister, living at 4 Rotherfield Street, which is the address they both gave on the certificate.

So they used HER address ... which doesn't help determining where he was born!

But she does give her age as 2 years older than on the certificate :D

Name: Ann E. Wallis
              Estimated birth year: abt 1857
              Relationship to Head: Sister
              Where born: London, City of, Middlesex, England
              Civil Parish: St Mary Islington
              County/Island: London
              Street address: Rotherfield St 4

Comment

I know ............ I'm going round the houses to try to find him, and see if I can get a better idea of where he was born etc

Comment

I have found one but not with his wife cannot find him as a printer with her either after 1882, I have been looking at this couple again for the last few days solid and have got nowhere.
                  There is a William Brown a Bricklayer in 1881 with wife Sarah A in Shoreditch which is where Ann lived ,but of course William isn't with them
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-07-16, 21:13.

Comment

another one for the spaceship?

Comment

Actually its Ann who is my rellie she has driven me mad for years I know about all her lot except for her,
                      Thanks OC . I am trying to find him before the marriage too so I can find where he was born.

Comment

I'll have another go later ....... we were up early this morning, and my post-lunch sleepiness is worse than usual :(

Comment

thanks for trying Sylvia for some reason this one has really got to me.

Comment

should have put this link up sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                              Have you got his actual marriage certificate, or are you going by the image on ancestry?
                              The image on ancestry is of the original marriage register entry - a certificate can't beat that.
                              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks for that Antony narrows it down back to Printer then, actually I may be on to something time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X