Genes Reunited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genes Reunited

Does anyone still use GR? Once a month or so I upload a basic tree, I know that I have to wait for two weeks before I get any 'hot matches', but I never get any, I just get told that I have to wait for the two weeks even though it is well over the time limit when I look. Above peoples names there is a figure in a circle telling me who has the name in their tree, but, even though I sometimes send them a message I never seem to get a reply, I do realise that it is their prerogative to reply or not.

So ...... is GR still worth doing or is it dead? If it is dead does anyone have the next best place to upload basic trees to. I don't have an Ancestry sub and I don't really fancy Ancestry, there is also My Heritage, but I don't fancy them either even though they do seem popular, Find My Past and The Genealogist both have online trees but I must admit that I prefer the way that GR works - if only I could get some Hot Matches or replies to my requests.

Sorry this is coming out as a right moan, I didn't mean to sound so miserable, I'm really just after the best place to upload a basic tree once a month or so and hopefully find others tracing the same lines as me.

Margaret.
    Margaret

I had a bad experience with Genes Reunited who plagued me with many many emails and passed on my email address to lots of other organisations who all said that because I had signed up the GR they are sending me this offer, which was usually to do with horse racing, medical matters or Russian women who wanted to marry me.

Admittedly this was a few years ago so perhaps their business ethics has improved.

My only other experience has been with FMP and have no complaints.

Comment

Tribalpages is brilliant and free
      Build your Free Family Tree website easily and effortlessly

Comment

Lost Cousins might be worth trying. www.lostcousins.com

Margaret

Comment

I don't think you upload a tree to Lost Cousins though Margaret. You just add all your related people from a couple of census I believe.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            I don't think you upload a tree to Lost Cousins though Margaret. You just add all your related people from a couple of census I believe.
            Yes, but if you are looking for contacts that might be the way to do it and for free.

Margaret

Comment

Oh yes sorry, I believe it's good for contacts. Sorry for late reply, I had to dash off suddenly as I needed to see a nurse today and when I rang they said "Can you come in now"!!
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten about Tribal Pages, I did once have a tree on there but no contacts, perhaps I'll try again now that I have more names in my tree. I have filled in quite a bit in Lost Cousins, but only one contact and she didn't seem particularly interested. Of course it could be that no-one else is following my 'names' though I find that hard to believe!
                Margaret

Comment

I still go on GR and have a small tree on there, but have never had more than the basic Standard Membership.

It has gone downhill steadily since they were bought by BrightSolid, the parent company of FMP. BrightSolid is owned by the publishing company D C Thomson Ltd.

Personally ................ I think FMP parent company would love to do away with GR. The staff has been reduced to its absolute minimum, queries have to be sent via the regular email address (not by onsite pm), and even then you usually wait for at least 3 working days. They are a bit handicapped in achieving that aim by the rules and regulations of one company being allowed to take over 3 of the UK's top genealogy sites, and promises allegedly made that none of them would be closed down.

However, BrightSolid/DC Thomson no longer has the contract for SP, that will be taken over by another company fairly soon ............... that may well hasten the demise of GR, or alternatively its reduction to a member-controlled site without access to records.

The help given by members is still excellent ............. you actually get helpers almost fighting to be first with the information, as there is so little going on on the site. I have always thought that the best benefit of GR was the member help.

They are still selling the Platinum membership, and I know people who swear by that, and others who think it's a rip-off.

Similarly, there are members who say they still get good Hot Matches, but many more like yourself. I personally have not had a Hot match for a couple of years. Those in the know say that the matches are now better (ie, match birthplace and birth year much better than before), but that they seem to be matching only the first 20 rather than the 100 they were doing previously.
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you Sylvia, like you I always only ever had the basic sub so that I could put my tree on there, the data sets on there didn't really interest me as they seem to be a cut down version of those on FMP. Now FMP have their own tree builder I haven't used it so can't really comment but it does seem to be inferior to GR which I always thought was brilliant. I hope that GR doesn't fall by the wayside as it has a huge number of trees and I would have thought that it has the potential to be as good as it once was even though it is up against the more aggressive marketing of the likes of My Heritage and Ancestry.
                    Margaret

Comment

Have sent a pm with regards to your wanting to meet up with others who be may tracing the same lines as yourself.

Angela

Comment

Thank you Angela, have sent you a reply.
                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X