Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol - which county and when

Hi

Over time Bristol has been variously in the counties of Somerset, Gloucestershire, Avon and is now a Unitary Authority I belive. I'm trying to determine when these 'moves' between counties occured, particularly thiose prior to the creation of Avon.

Does anyone already know when these change occured?

Cheers

Dermot

Bristol
    Registration County : Gloucestershire (1837-1974), Avon (1974-96), Bristol (from 1996).
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Bristol began as a town on the Gloucestershire side of the Avon, however as it grew it extended across the river into Somerset. In 1373 Edward III proclaimed "that the town of Bristol with its suburbs and precincts shall henceforth be separate from the counties of Gloucester and Somerset... and that it should be a county by itself". ???
      Kat

Comment

Hadn't thought to refer to the registration districts. I was moreless focused on the physical addresses. Thank you

Comment

Further to Post 3, Bristol was created a county in its own right by Edward 111's charter of 1373, with a lord Lieutenant and Sheriff, the first town in England granted this status. This status continued unbroken until 1994 when, with reorganisation of local government etc, it was swept away and Bristol became part of Avon, a government creation and non descript county.
          When Avon was abolished in 1996, Bristol regained its previous status complete with Lord Lieutenant and High Sheriff.

merleyone

Comment

Confusing isn't it?

Genuki: Edward III made Bristol a "City and County" in 1373, although today, and in recent times past, it is not generally considered to be both. For genealogical purposes, and specifically in the International Genealogical Index (IGI) the City of Bristol is considered as part of the County of Gloucestershire. In contrast, the postal address prior to 1974, and the creation of the county of Avon was "Bristol, Somerset".
            Kat

Comment

There is no doubt that Bristol is a city, with a Lord Mayor, and as the Queen appoints a Lord Lieutenant for the County of Bristol, she at least knows what the correct status is.
              Each county has a Lord Lieutenant appointed by the Queen and since 1994 Bristol is once more a City and a County. Google Lord Lieutenant for Bristol to read more.
              The IGI may have treated Bristol as part of Gloucestershire for their purpose but that cannot alter facts, let alone create them. The Post Office have always had their own peculiarities over addresses and Bristol was never a town or city for which the county of Somerset had any jurisdiction.
              Around the Bristol area, the county boundary between Gloucestershire and Somerset followed the line of the River Avon. The original town of Bristol was bounded by the Avon to the south, as it still is to the west below the Clifton Suspension Bridge across the Avon Gorge, but expansion to the south across the Avon naturally occurred and those new suburbs formally became part of Bristol in the 1880s. Being a county itself since 1373, it was never necessary to add another county name to the address - Bristol was sufficient, whatever the Post Office thought.
              Until 1974, the city boundary from the Gloucester direction in Southmead Road was marked with an ornate sign bearing coat of arms etc and mentioning Edward 111's charter of 1373, welcoming travellers to the City and County of Bristol and 1974, to me at least, is certainly recent 'times past'.
              I do not doubt that there are many people who do not consider Bristol to be both a City and a County but their knowledge, or otherwise, of the facts would probably influence those considerations. Here in Bristol, there are thousands who would beg to differ with them and the facts fully support their view.

merleyone
              (Bristolian by adoption since 1959)

Comment

My remark re confusion was actually directed to those who are searching for family records for Bristol and surrounding villages. I think most know by now Bristol belongs to neither Somerset or Gloucestershire. However for registration of BMD and censuses my 1st post applies.
                Kat

Comment

Working...
                X