Jewish,Russian,Polish search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish,Russian,Polish search

Could someone give me an idea of the best place to search for Jewish Russian immigrants in the late 1800s. Never researched these before. I could not believe all the changes in names and it has bamboozled me a bit
    Ann

Hi Ann,
    We have a Famous thread on here called Hospital Records by Wallaby in which she traced her Father back to Russia and found lots of her Jewish Family in the UK it is a very long running thread which resulted in her writing a book which is also documented on this site.
    The above link will take you to the page in our Research Library and listed is all of the Russian help places.
    We do have a few members who are an authority on Jewish research, perhaps starting with OC (Olde Crone Holden) who may be able to give you more pointers.
    Good Luck

Edna

Comment

Thank you I will have a look
      Regards
      Ann

Comment

in case any settled in Merseyside

This website is for sale! liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

worth a read anyway - I find the Merseyside Alien link very interesting - dates of arrival and addresses they went to live
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

What a brilliant site. Certainly worth a look. Most of mine seem to be the east end of London and I am finding it very hard.
          Regards Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
            What a brilliant site. Certainly worth a look. Most of mine seem to be the east end of London and I am finding it very hard.
            Regards Ann
            Have you looked for naturalization papers? UK naturalization papers are on ancestry, and if you can find the ones for your peeps, they may have a gold mine of info.

There were Jewish newspapers in London, available on British Newspapers (I think? AnnSwabey knows for certain). A friend bought a short sub and came back with big results.

Have you located their gravestones? Jewish gravestones often give the deceased's father's name.

My friend also connected with an Eastern European/Azhkenazi facebook group. They gave her a lot of support, including translating the headstone incriptions of her peeps. If you'd like, I'll ask her for more info. She also connected with someone who had lots of BMD data transcribed from ??Belatrus? - not really sure. I was helping her with the immigrants, not with their ancestors.

Good luck.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 22-07-16, 15:23.

Comment

Thank you for the info I will see what I turn up
              Regards Ann

Comment

Working...
              X