Births and Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Births and Marriage

I have a post already On for William Young's Parents Births ...This is Williams Wife -
    Evelyn Agnes Violet Worrell born 20 July 1922

I can not find the marriage of her Parents - Charles Worrall B 1889 Brierley Hill Staffordshire
    Alice (sure maiden name is Smith) B about 1885 in
    Brierley Hill Staffordshire

I have found census's for Charles as a Child moving to Manchester , a Marriage I found in Manchester says he married an (Alice Westwood)this all fits with Charles and his father mentioned in the marriage cert, but an Ancestry tree has shown up in hints and it shows Alice is Smith...confused ! Help Please !!
    Charles is shown in 1911 census with wife Alice in Tamworth were there daughter Evelyn is born...in 1922.
    Last edited by scouse007; 17-07-16, 10:14.

Before anyone wonders about living names, I have checked and Agnes is deceased.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think a more likely marriage is
      June 1912 Tamworth 6b 777

Alice is definitely Smith as that is her maiden name as given at Evelyn,s birth.

OC

Comment

ah ............

I was wondering whether Alice was possibly a war widow, and married Charles under her first married name

But if OC and scouse are both correct, then Charles and Alice were living together in Tamworth before they married

errrrrrr ...... Charles and Alice Worrall are living in Salford Manchester in the 1911 Census? Charles is a crane driver, and they say they have been married 2 years
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

This is the marriage for the Charles and Alice living in Manchester in 1911

According to lancs bmd, the marriage took place in 1908 ........

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1908

WORRALL Charles WESTWOOD Alice Salford St Cyprian Salford C23/2/267
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Who was Charles' father?

The marriage register shows the father of the Charles who married Alice Westwood was Joshua

Manchester, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930

Name: Charles Worrall
            Birth Year: abt 1888
            Marriage Date: 28 Sep 1908
            Parish: Ordsall, St Cyprian Salford
            Parish as it Appears: St Cyprian Salford
            Father: Joshua Worrall
            Spouse: Alice Westwood
            Spouse Father: David Westwood
            Reference Number: L191/1/2/2
            Item Number: 6
            Archive Roll: 913

Comment

2 NewMill Lane, Lichfield R.D., Staffordshire, England
              First name(s) Lastname(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status
              Alice Amy Worrall 19 Sep 1886 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
              Charles Worrall 11 Aug 1889 Male General Labourer Married
              Evelyn A (V) Young(Worrall) 20 Jul 1922 Female Cotton Hand Single
              Joan D (I) Cordell(Worrall) 04 Sep 1924 Female Cotton Hand Single
              2 closed records, then;
              James Cave 25 Mar 1873 Male Navvy Single

Earlier information from his entry in British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920
              His address is 15 Swan Terrace, Kingsbury, Tamworth, Warwickshire
              His wife is Alice Amy Smith and they had been married in Kingsbury Parish Church in April 1912 by the Rev. Walker. Witnesses AliceSpencer and William Smith
              His children are Kathleen Ellen born Kingsbury 4 August 1912 and Charles born Kingsbury 11 December 1913
              He was discharged from the King’s Royal Rifle Corps 18 September1914 as medically unfit
              He was a collier when he signed up on 26 August 1914 at Birmingham.
              He declared he was 23 years and 15 days old and born in Kingsbury parish, near Tamworth, Warwickshire which makes his birth year 1891rather than 1889

This is Alice Amy Smith’s baptism. It is wrongly indexed as Sonitte !! The image shows SMITH
              Name: Alice Amy Sonitte
              Parish: Kingsbury
              Baptism Date: 16 Oct 1887
              Father's name: William Sonitte
              Mother's name: Amy Jane Sonitte

Her birth entry
              Name: Alice Amy Smith
              Registration Year: 1887
              Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
              Registration district: Tamworth
              Inferred County: Staffordshire
              Volume: 6b
              Page: 393

I cannot reconcile this Alice Amy with the Westwood girl daughter of David who marries Charles Worrall, son of Joshua in 1908 in Lancashire as there is no death for an Alice Worrall that seems to fit between 1911 Lancashire census and 1912 Kingsbury marriage in Warwickshire.

The only way to solve this is to send for the 1912 marriage certificate.
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-16, 00:54.

Comment

Alice's parents, William Smith (labourer) bachelor aged 20 and Amy Jane Spencer, spinster aged 19 married in Kingsbury Church on 13 August 1877. Amy Jane's father was John Spencer, labourer. William's father was John Smith. carpenter. Witnesses; George Spencer and Fanny ---inson.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-07-16, 01:10.

Comment

Amy Jane Spencer was baptised at 7 February 1858 St Giles Church, Whittington, Staffordshire. At the time, the family resided in Swinfen, Staffordshire.

Comment

William Smith born 17 May 1867 and baptised privately 14 August 1857 at St Editha Church, Tamworth, Staffordshire, son of John Smith, sawyer and his wife Ann. Family living in Tamworth.

Comment

The Charles referred to in the war records is born as Joseph C W Worrall 1913. The closed records in the post #7 could be Leonard F. Worrall 1915 and Joyce L Worrall 1927

Comment

Alice Amy Smith is on 1911 census living with her parents and family at 7 Church View, Coventry Road, Kingsbury, near Tamworth. There is another Smith family (head is Joseph) living next door at number 5.

Comment

Hi
                          Thanks for all the help, my thoughts go with "GallowayLass" and others on the same line...Thanks for the extra at the end too...It is great to have help when one hits a brick wall...Thank You !

Comment

Working...
                          X