Firefox and McAfee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox and McAfee

I wonder if someone could give me some advice on this.
    After all the problems with Word 10 (or whatever number it is) I changed to Firefox and I am very happy with it. My computer is Windows Premium 7 and have heard some horrendous stories of this type of computer becoming unusuable once Windows 10 is uploaded (?downloaded).
    I am not very computer savvy (I just use the thing) but I do have a subscription to McAfee - I have noticed that they do not appear to like Firefox very much - perhaps it is my imagination or maybe the dislike is mutual. However, have just done a cleanup of computer and when McAfee had finished a notice came up on the screen saying "this is embarrassing but Firefox will not let us ?re-load the programme" - no idea what it meant but have heard before that the 2 don't work well together. I got all that was missing back by just back-spacing! Absolutely nothing wrong that I have found so far.
    What I really would like to know is, when I need to renew McAfee, is there a good alternative instead of them? I am sure I haved heard of Norton or similar.

I have to say that since I have used Firefox I have had no intrusive adverts and no problems whatsoever. It just does its job and keeps a low profile.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 14-07-16, 13:37.

I thought Firefox had its own inbuilt security ???
    Microsoft security essentials is free and quite a few of us use it, scroll down.
    Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Comment

Hi Val, I am wondering myself about Firefox having its own security inbuilt. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever since I started using Firefox. You can tell when someone is surfing looking for e-addresses etc - firefox puts a discreet little message top left saying "this website does not give out any information".

Am trying to use Firefox site to ask about that - it would appear I have forgotten my password so cannot get in! I don't believe it

Comment

lol read this
        Firefox's password management feature securely stores your usernames and passwords. Learn how to save, view, manage and protect your logins.

Comment

Hi Val,

I have a problem with this - have been into the https you quote and they want my master password - I can't remember it!!! Senile old fool that I am. If they give the master password to me it will cancel out all the passwords for sites I use - well, I can't remember them either.
          I am definitely past my sellby date there is no doubt about it. I do not want to lose other passwords as well. I only wanted to ask them if I needed McAfee as well as their security protection!
          Anyone got a spare brain in working condition that I could borrow?
          Last edited by Sue1; 14-07-16, 15:12.

Comment

Info from son who works in IT.

Firefox does not have anti-virus security to the level of McAfree.
            He has said that Microsoft Security Essentials is all that he has put on all of our computers at home. Mine and my OH's are Windows 7 Pro and he has Windows 10. No problems at all, and I much prefer Firefox, especially the AD Blocker.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy. I have had no aggravation since I have changed to Firefox - I am on a Windows 7 laptop (with big screen attached so that I can read it!)
              I presume I can upload/download (never quite sure which word is correct so use them both!) Microsoft Security Essentials.
              I am delighted to be free of adverts, especially invasive adverts that take over half the screen or more - at one stage it was so bad I was beginning to wonder just whose computer it was!
              Sue

Comment

Sue does it not give you the option to tick a box forgot password??

Comment

Yes it does Val but you have quite a few passwords for Firefox - the one I have forgotten is the Master password - if they have to give that to me I will have to reset all other passwords because I haven't got a clue what they are. Quite a sad state of affairs really. I think my days on the computer are numbered. Basically when you use a site with Firefox as provider you are asked if you want them to remember the site - I find this very useful. The one thing I like about Firefox is that they are never intrusive. I have very few adverts with e-mails and they never fill the whole page which they frequently did before (don't ask me what I was using before because I can't remember! Sue

Comment

I don't have a Master Password for Firefox. My son never set one.
                    Wendy

Comment

I wish I didn't have one but having one I wish I could remember it!

Comment

You do need an anti virus programme on a computer - the Firefox protection is only for the browsing of websites and would not necessarily cover you if you got caught by a virus from an email say or an attachment.

I use AVG free antivirus and that works fine with Windows 10 and previous versions of Windows. A know a lot of people use the Microsoft Essential Security and say it's fine.

As regards you master password surely Firefox has a recovery procedure that you can follow. I found this http://lifehacker.com/5350375/how-to...aster-password but I guess you will need someone to help you with that as I know you say you are a novice.

Margaret

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials works well on all our Computers.
                          Wendy

Comment

Working...
                          X