Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Address on FMP lookup

Hi everyone,

I've searched 1911 census on Ancestry for Mary Elizabeth Bursill living in St. Pancras, London (born 1850) but i can't find it. Please could someone check on FMP for me and let me know what the address is?

Thanks
    Craig

Mary Elizabeth Bursill - says wife instead of head but then widow age 61
    with daughter Florence age 26

90 Castle Road St Pancras

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you JBee. I can now look up the address on ancestry and link it to my tree.

Mary was a widow as her husband Thomas passed away in 1909.
      Craig

Comment

for interest's sake, this is Mary Elizabeth on ancestry.

You might want to send a correction in so she can be found without using the wild card *

1911 Census

Name: Mary Eliabeth Bursell
        Age in 1911: 61
        Estimated birth year: abt 1850
        Relation to Head: Wife
        Birth Place: Mile End
        Civil Parish: St Pancras
        Search Photos: Search for 'St Pancras' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
        County/Island: London
        Street address: 90 Castle Rd, Kentish Town, St Pancras
        Marital Status: Widowed
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

That's funny. I had one very similar to this just the other day where it said Relation to head: Wife, Condition: Widow. To complicate things even more she was at the top of the list (ie presumably Head) but her mother was next, also a widow, and then some adult children. I don't think the transcription could cope with that because, after all, the transcription should say what is written. I thought at the time that maybe the house occupants had been using the word Wife as a more broad term such as is sometimes used in Scotland and northern England .... meaning 'head woman'.
          Anne

Comment

It wasn't filled in by the lady in question but on her behalf.

Instead of Head it had Wife in the column and marital status Widow.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Maybe the person doing the filling in hadn't understood the instructions and put Mary down as wife because they had always known her as a married woman and then realised that it should be head, widow.

Comment

In my case she had filled it in herself. Maybe just couldn't bring herself to put 'Head' but correctly said she was a widow.
                Anne

Comment

Working...
                X