Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Scottish Marriages

Hi

was it usual for a marriage to be registered in two place? I have a couple of marriage that seem to be between the same people, but are a few days apart in two different parishes?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Yes - quite often registered at both parishes and up to a week difference to give them time to travel I believe.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

great thanks
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Very common in the OPRs (Old Parish Registers). First date is usually the actual date of the marriage in the bride's parish and the 2nd is an entry in the groom's parish register. Sometimes you will get both dates the same (the person filling in the other register being efficient).
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-07-16, 19:15.

Comment

You can only be married once (lawfully) and so there wouldn’t have been two marriages. What you are usually seeing are cases where bride and groom came from different parishes and the two OPR entries record the reading of the banns in both parishes. None of the dates might be the actual date of the marriage.

A Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) marriage wouldn't necessarily take place in the church (kirk). The banns would be read in the kirk and the Minister would conduct the ceremony, but it could take place anywhere. Most took place at the bride's home, sometimes at the groom's home, or at the Manse (where the minister lived) or at the farm where they were working (common with farm servants). Once past 1900 they would often take place at a hired venue, such as a local hall - I have Scottish ancestors getting married in hotels, community halls, school halls and even the local railway station buffet room!
          Last edited by Elwyn; 04-07-16, 20:10.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
          X