Royal Navy History records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Navy History records

I have my father's Royal Navy service history record and would like help understanding it, he served during the 2nd world war and added 4 yrs extended service, he began as a 2nd class stoker and became 1st class within a year... The records shows the ships he was on and dates he served on them BUT not where he went...he was awarded ;
    ---War Medal 1939-45--1939-45 Star Medal--AtlanticStar Medal--Africa Star Medal--Burma Star Medal. My father never spoke much of his time in service, his conduct was excellent and reading all the dates he never seemed to have a break. Were can I go to get help understand his records. I live in Cradley Heath West Midlands.

Have you googled the names of the ships to find out where they were in service?

The different stars were awarded for service in different theatres of war. My father had the Africa star because he was in the N African desert with Monty - El Alamein etc - he then went across Sicily for the Salerno landings and Monte Cassino, which earned him the Italy star. A gentleman I knew some years ago had the Atlantic star because he had seen some army service in Iceland.

You could also google the individual medals, which will give you a starting point of how your father might have been involved in the different theatres of war.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 03-07-16, 19:38.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

You need to talk with an expert on this RN record and should have an excellent chance to find one at the Nautical Club, Bishopgate Street, Birmingham, which is a club for RN veterans. Bishopgate Street runs from Broad Street towards Bath Row and the Royal Naval Association meet there once a month. Try googling Nautical Club, Birmingham for details etc and take it from there.

Best of luck with your search.

merleyone

Comment

Thanks to you both...will do some of what Janet mentions, I managed to get hold of the then secretary in the Nautical club which has now closed down and they are going to get someone whom is a ex-stoker to call me as they still have meetings once a month and the "Stokers" monthly meeting is coming up and I am going to be invited along....;D

Comment

Working...
        X