freebmd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freebmd

have I missed something? just entering a few details onto a tree and found I dont have a death date for my mary ann SMITh so thought I would check on freebmd but it jumps from 1910 to 1969, did no mary ann smith die in kent between those dates?

Try Mary A Smith as middle names weren't entered in full on the index during the years you are missing.
    Last edited by JudithM; 02-07-16, 16:27.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

In 1910 the registers changed to only include the first full forename and then initials. In 1969 they changed again to show the first 2 forenames and then initials.

Between those dates there are lots of Mary A Smiths
      Jackie

Comment

or use mary a* smith ........

........ the wild card * can be used after just 1 letter on freebmd, and searches for both the initial only and all names beginning with a*, including Ann, Anne and Annie, just in case the informant got the name wrong.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

ok thanks
          I also noticed that they now put the birth ate along side the death so that makes elimination easier!!

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
            ok thanks
            I also noticed that they now put the birth ate along side the death so that makes elimination easier!!
            This is only for after they changed the format of the death certificate. I think this was either 1967 or 1969.
            Last edited by Tom Tom; 02-07-16, 23:06.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

You have to remember that the date of birth is taken from the age given by the Informant to the Registrar, and that is one of the pieces of information on a death certificate that may or may not be true

Our ancestors lied with great regularity :D

Age was a favourite one to "adjust".

My own maternal grandparents lied about both their ages when they got married, but still show as both under 21 so I can't quite understand why they thought it necessary!

Maternal grandfather then lied about his birth date and year to his family for the rest of his life.

I only know which is his death certificate because I know exactly when he died. Anyone else will have to guess that it might be him because he is the only one with his name to die in that area for a couple of years each side of his death
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                This is only for after they changed the format of the death certificate. I think this was either 1967 or 1969.

But the age is shown on the death registration many years before that. My paternal grandmother's age is shown on freebmd in 1939, and I think the record on ancestry has been changed to estimated year of birth

EDIT:- yes, I've just checked. The ancestry death registration shows her estimated birth year as well as the age
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 02-07-16, 23:40.

Comment

Working...
                X