I do not have a printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not have a printer

I have trees on Ancestry. I do not have a printer and I have tried to save profile pages but they are all gobbledegook. Is there any way I can download onto a stick and print out elsewhere
    Ann

Ancestral Author have a downloadable and free version that allows you to save but it doesnt look like a 'tree'. This isnt the best answer you will receive i am sure so I will be watching this thread too for more sensible comments

Comment

Thank you Vacumatic. I will try this as I want to show details. It does not have to be a tree.
      Regards Ann

Comment

Do you have a genealogy software programme on your computer?
        I'm thinking that perhaps a tree downloaded from Ancestry would be in a gedcom format, and so would need to be uploaded into a suitable compatible format software package.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

You could take a 'snip' of the page and save it as a jpeg image to print out. You could do as many pages as you wanted and load them onto a memory stick.
          Anne

Comment

Good luck with any download Ann.

I used the site ancestral author for the download so that I could have the facts in some readable format away from FMP, somthing I could save onto my own computer. I wanted some form of diagram, that showed an ancestral path so I used Excel to create something I could visualise and edit as more information became known. My needs were quite simple, I just wanted to show marriage partners and siblings, all with dates of birth and death. I havent tried but being Excel I presume you can also attach documents such as photographs and various certificates.

If this appeals I am happy to share the document as as starting point.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I do not have a geneology program and I do not know how to take a snip. I am sorry for appearing daft but I am a golden Oldie and find Ancestry easy for me but I now want to share my findings as been doing it for many years. Vacumatic I would like to take up your offer of the sharing of your document. If someone could tell me how to snip I will try that too.
              Regards
              Ann

Comment

No problem Ann, I will send a private message.

Comment

No problem Ann, I will send a private message.

I have looked to see if I can attach a spreadsheet to a private message and there does not seem to be an obvious icon, can anyone tell me if this is possible please.

Comment

What Windows do you have on your computer, Ann? XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10? The Snipping tool is available in 7, 8 and 10 but you can do screen shots in earlier versions. I'll try and help you unless someone else has a better idea.
                    Anne

Comment

Just been having a look at my Ancestry Tree. There is a way to get a person's profile page!! Go to Tools in the top right and select Print (yes, I know you don't have a printer!). The page then compacts into a nice readable single page. Now you have two options
                      1. Take a screen print or snip (I can explain how). You can save these as JPEG (pictures) to a stick and print them on someone else's printer
                      2. Do a virtual printing to a PDF file. You can get free PDF programs easily and then view the documents as Adobe Acrobat PDF files. (I can explain how). You can save these onto a memory stick if you want to print paper copies on someone else's printer

There is also a way to get a piece of the tree diagram. This time, on an Ancestry page with the tree the Print symbol is on the left hand side. It makes a nice compact piece of your tree and you can do the same as above with it.
                      Anne

Comment

Hello Anne
                        Just popped on here before I go out. I will Have a go at your suggestions tomorrow when I can just sit and follow your instructions. I have windows 8. Can you explain the screenshot and snip please
                        Kind regards
                        Ann

Comment

Great, Windows 8 is good and has the snipping tool. I am going out now for the rest of the day, so I'll be back tomorrow. If you want to try and find the tool try typing 'snipping tool' into the search area. It should be there somewhere and then you can pin it to your taskbar so its always available. See you tomorrow.
                          Anne

Comment

I have found my snipping tool and been practising but I am not sure of the right one to use. I keep losing the bottom of the page.
                            Regards
                            Ann

Comment

Ann

There is a You Tube guide to using the snipping tool in Windows 8

Last edited by Vacumatic; 30-06-16, 16:06.

Comment

Great, glad you've got started. Did you try getting the 'Print' page on Ancestry? It seems more compact and (on my screen) just fills the screen without scrolling. Maybe your screen is smaller?
                                Anne

Comment

If you click print on the profile page/ tree view you should then get a single page, click print again and then you get options at the side to select a printer. Not sure what you will see if you don't have a printer installed, but whatever is showing click 'change' you can then select save as a pdf. You are then asked where to save it and that can be to anywhere on your PC or straight to the memory stick.

I can send you instructions separately if you wish.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you Margaret. Could you inbox the instructions please. I cant seem to get the whole page to be seen so maybe saving as a pdf may help
                                    Regards
                                    Ann

Comment

When I have trouble downloading/printing - I sometimes revert to my camera and take a picture.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you for replying. This is a good thing to try
                                        Ann

Comment

Working...
                                        X