London Metropilitan Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Metropilitan Archives

Does anyone know anything about the London Metropolitan Archives?

I've been asked by a friend if I can help a friend of his. She has been trying to contact the LMA from Canada. I know nothing about the LMA, never needed to even look at them!

She has apparently sent 3 emails to LMA over an unknown (to me) period, the last one being on June1, and has had no reply to any of them. She says she is willing to pay for pulling, copying and mailing the one copy, but can't afford to give them carte blanche to search.

The email address she's used .......... ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Her question concerns the Christ's Hospital and Bluecoat School

The essential question she's asking is as follows ..........

Do I need to use your PAID DOCUMENT RESEARCH SERVICE to obtain a copy of a document referenced in Information Leaflet Number 29, Records of Christ's Hospital and Bluecoat Schools, being No. H09/GY/E/057-068 as follows:

The archive of Guy’s Hospital at LMA include records of children presented to Christ’s Hospital 1725 1975 and pedigrees and copy certificates of Thomas Guy’s relations (H09/GY/E/057-068)

I have tried many times to find this document by searching for the reference code without success. As I live in Ontario, Canada I am not in a position to visit London’s Archives.

I've done a bit of searching but can't find an answer.

Do any of you know if she is asking a question that is unanswerable. do the LMA not reply to emails, is the LMA open or am I dreaming that I read a note that it was closed for renos/moving posted somewhere (possibly on GR) to which I paid no close attention.

It does seem to be open when I google LMA
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 26-06-16, 19:14.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page in the link, you will see a different e-mail address.
    I don't know whether of not this is the current one though.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks, Jay .......... I'll suggest she try that

I did think of wrong email address, but didn't scroll down far enough

Sorry for the delay in responding ..... daughter phoned for our weekly catch-up chat

and I've just realised I mis-spelled metropolitan!!!

oops

I looked at it and looked at it, knew something was wrong, but couldn't think what I had done wrong!
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
        Does anyone know anything about the London Metropolitan Archives?

I've been asked by a friend if I can help a friend of his. She has been trying to contact the LMA from Canada. I know nothing about the LMA, never needed to even look at them!

She has apparently sent 3 emails to LMA over an unknown (to me) period, the last one being on June1, and has had no reply to any of them. She says she is willing to pay for pulling, copying and mailing the one copy, but can't afford to give them carte blanche to search.

The email address she's used .......... ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Her question concerns the Christ's Hospital and Bluecoat School

The essential question she's asking is as follows ..........

I've done a bit of searching but can't find an answer.

Do any of you know if she is asking a question that is unanswerable. do the LMA not reply to emails, is the LMA open or am I dreaming that I read a note that it was closed for renos/moving posted somewhere (possibly on GR) to which I paid no close attention.

It does seem to be open when I google LMA
        Two points -
        * Christ's Hospital's records are listed in Family Search's catalog. Your friend could request the films to her nearest FHC and go thru them herself.

* Christ's Hospital itself still exists, and I interacted with a volunteer, who provided the basic entry/discharge information for my ancestor. I think they asked for a donation rather than a specific fee, but I could be wrong.

Another point -
        We have a researcher or two who are members. Yes, they charge a fee, but it may be less than LMA charges.

Comment

Thank you, PhotoFamily ..........

I'll pass on this information to my friend to pass on to her

Comment

links:
            CH:
            www.christs-hospital.org.uk - I just used their general contact email, but eventually heard from the volunteer. But I notice now that there are links to other organizations, especially the old blue school links
            How to contact us and how to find us. Check which phone number you need and which email address is the right one for you to use when contacting us.

CH records at familysearch:
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I found not only the admission/discharge entries, but also explanation for the child's entry into the Hospital. In one case, I found a certified copy of the parents' marriage record. The records also give the discharge disposition (e.g., apprenticeship) and to whom the child was discharged.

Comment

The reference your friend is using (H09/GY/E/057-068) doesn't refer to a single document, but to a number of document series, and probably a vast quantity of paper. She needs to look at the catalogue (which is not very user friendly) and try and determine exactly what it is she wants a copy of, or be clear about the information she needs. Unfortunately - it may require a bit of searching through to find - but if she can be specific that can be kept to the minimum.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 27-06-16, 08:56.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Antony ....

thank you very much.

As you can tell, I've never used LMA, so not up on how the archives work.
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 27-06-16, 19:52.

Comment

I have contacted my friend with all the responses and suggestions, and will leave it up to him to pass the contents of my emails on to his friend.

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X