Holy Trinity Church, Exeter, Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Trinity Church, Exeter, Devon

My Gt Gt Grandfather, John Canacott, married Sarah Milford on 28th May 1820 at Holy Trinity Church, Exeter, Devon. From what I have read, the Old Holy Trinity Church in Exeter was demolished in 1819, and the New Holy Trinity Church was being built in 1820, but wasn't completed until 1821. Can anyone with knowledge of this Exeter church tell me where my 1820 marriage would have taken place.

The entry in the marriage register, which is available on Findmypast, states that they were married in the Parish Church of St. Mary Major
    Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
    Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine. A clear example of FMP (which I don't use) proving superior to Ancestry (which I do use)! Lesson learnt - I now subscribe to both!!

Comment

This marriage was one of forty eight involving Holy Trinity parishioners conducted at St Mary Major between 2/5/1819 and 8/1/1821 by John Bradford, Rector of Trinity. All are recorded in the Holy Trinity register and bear the annotation that the couple were married 'in the Parish Church of St Mary Major'. Of those 48 only one has the briefest of explanation for this arrangement and, by chance, that is the Baird/Castle marriage at the foot of the page on the link provided in Post 2. The usual annotation about St Mary Major continues, 'the Parish Church being now rebuilding', clearly referring to Holy Trinity.
        An interesting window on the circumstances already mentioned in Post 1 and maybe the Rector thought that as the groom was a Surgeon at the Royal Navy Hospital, Haslar he, at least, warranted an explanatory note.

merleyone

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply, merlyone. The circumstances surrounding this marriage add so much colour to what would otherwise have been little more than a marriage date placed on record. I have since found several websites online that give the interesting history of St Mary Major, with one of them even having a very early albumen photograph of the chancel before its demolition in 1865. I never realised when I asked the original question, that the answer would lead me on to such fascinating further research. Thanks again for your help.

Walsy55

Comment

Working...
          X