Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloucestershire, Forest of Dean - George Murray 6 August 1873 - ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Gloucestershire, Forest of Dean - George Murray 6 August 1873 - ??

I have just found the first post 1901 census evidence of my George MURRAY on the new Gloucestershire electoral registers on ancestry.
    In 1903, he is in the same place as he was in 1901, Woorgreens in the parish of East Dean.
    The 1901 census is the one and only document showing George, his "wife" Jane E. (nee GARDNER) and two sons - Albert W. b.c.1898 at Chalford and Redvers Cyril Thomas b. 9 December 1900 at Lightmoor.
    Jane's surname comes from Redvers' birth certificate. Whether or not Albert was George's child I cannot establish as there's no 100% match in the birth indexes and I've never found evidence of any marriage.
    In 1891, George is at home in Ellesmere, Shropshire with his parents. Surname spelled MURREY. He is an apprentice to a coach builder.
    On Redvers' birth certificate, he is a colliery blacksmith.
    In 1901 George is a blacksmith.

I have not found this family anywhere on the 1911 census, together or apart. With a name like Redvers Cyril Thomas MURRAY, you'd have thought he would be easy to find but no such luck. I can't find a marriage or a death for the boy either.

Now that I know George was a voter in 1903 I can look for a death between then and 1911 to start with.

What would help a lot is for someone to visit a main library or archive office in Gloucestershire to check the valuation rolls to see when George disappears from that address and also, if possible to check when he first was there.

Thank you.
Working...
X