1939 query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 query

can anybody tell me the meaning of this especially the date thanks 1939 Louise.JPG

Hi val

I think a NR30 means a change of name, but not by marriage and the eds - enumeration district S is lymington, Hampshire.

and the date the change took place.

name change possibly by deed poll or full age adoption etc.
    Last edited by loltel; 20-06-16, 13:03.
    Lorraine

Comment

Thanks Lorraine for your reply, much appreciated ,this lady married a man she knew was already married in fact she encouraged it tut tut ,so I wonder what the change of name bit meant? as in 1922 he was taken to court and imprisoned, so cannot understand why the change of name would have been in 1947? she never married again ? and by that time had been living with another man for some years.

Comment

Hi Val

Bet that's been a good story. Have you checked local newspapers for any related event in 1947. Did she keep her "married name" or maybe use an "also known as" after the events and had legal papers or documents changed, or possibly deed poll the name of her new partner.
        Last edited by loltel; 21-06-16, 14:44.
        Lorraine

Comment

Thanks again she called herself by the new mans surname and her death is registered under his name but she never married him, wonder then if she changed her name to his by deed poll ?
          Thanks for your help shall look into it further.

Comment

Hi val

Good luck with it, i would start with the local paper as sometimes people put announcments in there, stating the change etc and is now known as. As far as i know there was no legal requirements to do it officially but as there is a date, i would think there was something official done.
            Lorraine

Comment

thanks Lorraine shall let you know if I find anything

Comment

I can remember seeing notices in the local newspaper back in the 1950s that were official notices that "John Smith" would be known as "Philip Magnusson" in future, and would not be responsible for any debts incurred by "John Smith" ;D

I have a feeling that more changes of names were done that way than by paying the fee to do it by Deed Poll.

It also was perfectly legal to change your name to another name without even publishing it in a newspaper ............. as long as it was not for an illegal purpose. All you ahd to do was notify everyone who needed to know that "in future I will be known as xxxxxx", especially banks, employers, etc.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

thanks Sylvia I reckon she just changed her name to his so people would think they were married, thats about the time she moved in with him.

Comment

Working...
                  X