No announcement yet.

Trade Directories for Swansea, 1890's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Directories for Swansea, 1890's?

Does anyone on here know which Trade Directories for Swansea, South Wales, were Published in the 1890's?

I've found my late Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) listed as a 'Newsagent and Vendor' in the Kelly's 1895 Trade Directory, and as a Painter and Decorator, 'Wilson and Co', in the 1930 Swansea Trade Directory, but I'm interested to see if I can find him in Swansea before then.

He Married my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea on the 22nd June 1893, but I can't find him anywhere before then. Trade Directories might be the best route to make further headway.

Holly.

Is this the family in 1891, if so it states he was born in Manchester

Census Transcript Household Glamorgan 1901
    Address 113 St Helens Road
    Parish
    Registration District Swansea, Swansea
    Image Reference RG13/5074/F?

Forename Surname Age Year Born Relation Birth Place Occupation
    William J Wilson 40 1861 Head Manchester, Lancashire House Decorator
    Margaret Wilson 35 1866 Wife Swansea, Glamorganshire Draper Shop Keeper
    William N Wilson 7 1894 Son Swansea, Glamorganshire
    Evan W Wilson 5 1896 Son Swansea, Glamorganshire
    Ernest R Wilson 4 1897 Son Swansea, Glamorganshire
    George F Wilson 1 1900 Son Swansea, Glamorganshire

Comment

Many Thanks for looking maesglassclub.

Yes, that's the right family. (My Father was Evan D). I have them on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Swansea, and then my Grandfather in The Swansea Trade Directory. Although he says on both Censuses that he was Born in Manchester, I've never been able to locate a definate Birth or Baptism for him there. I've found a Newspaper Article where he says that he went into business with £36.00 in 1893, (Attached) but I can't find him in a Swansea Trade Directory before 1895.
      Holly.Inventors woes S Wales daily post 19_10_1899.jpg

Comment

Hi Holly, there are a lot of William James Wilson born 1869 + or - 2 years, but none in Manchester, in Lancashire they are in or around Liverpool and I cant see some one mixing them two cities up, have you tried the Welsh Nation Library, they hold a lot of book like directories and even if they dont have them could possibly point you in the right direction. Where was he in 1881 ?, I will give it another go.

Robert

Comment

Hi again Holly, do you have the marriage cert for William James Wilson & Margaret Rees 22 June 1893, if so it should state his fathers name and Ocupation which would help. Robert

Comment

Hi maesglassclub,

William James Wilson was Born 1860/'61. (He's 41 on the 1901 Census and 51 on the 1911). Yes, I have his Marriage Cert. (Attached)WmJamesWilsonMarrCert1893.jpg He says he's 32yrs old, Occupation: Painter. Father: William Wilson, (Deceased) Occupation: Mason.
            On his Death Cert, (Attached)WmJamesWilsonDeathCert.jpg He is 77yrs old, (in December 1937).

The problem is that William, James, and Wilson, are all very common names, and so no way of knowing which one is the correct one on Birth Registers and earlier Censuses:-(
            Holly:-(
            Last edited by Holly; 21-06-16, 14:24.

Comment

Bear in mind that trade directories might not have been published every year, so there may have been a time gap between starting a business and featuring in a directory.
              Also there may have been a charge for having an entry in some directories, which could have put some small businesses off applying for inclusion.
              Another point is that a one-man business could often get all the trade he could cope with by personal recommendation from one customer to another. However, if the business expanded and the trader employed other men, then he would need much more work to keep them all busy all year round and would probably need to advertise his services.
              There used to be a site named historicaldirectiories or something similar - was under one of the universities, Manchester? Leicester? Haven't used the site for ages.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-06-16, 15:25.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It's University of Leicester, Jay.

It's not the easiest of Sites to search though(!) 1895 for Kelly's is on there, but I think there were other Trade Directories, Piggot's(?)

On the 1891 Census for Wales, a G. Hooper seems to be running a Chemists from 113 St Helens Road, Swansea. And in 1895 William James Wilson has a Listing as a 'Newsagent and Vendor', - same address. However, on my eldest Uncle's Birth Cert, in June 1894, William James and Margaret Wilson are at 4 Leslie Terrace, Swansea... Could be the same house though?

Holly.

Comment

Working...
                X