Home page - missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home page - missing

My talktalk went down for two days this week on my laptop. When it finally came back I had lost my Google home page and talktalk tab had completely disappeared.
    I have the original Google.co.uk on windows 7.

This is how I had my laptop set up Google as the Home Page and when I clicked on IE 10 it opened Google as my default page this then appeared in a tab above the ribbon on a tab and along side talktalk appeared in a separated tab.

I have managed to recover a Google page but not to my liking it has a Large letter G on the task bar to open it and the little House Icon on the ribbon is missing. The IE icon is now BING and I wish to get rid of it as it always opened Google.

I have repeatedly been to Internet Options and added TT - Apply etc. but it is not effective. How can I put this right please? Simple jargon please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Update to my Thread -

After almost a week without Talktalk the TAB that I mentioned came on just after I posted this thread.

To clarify my problem I have not been able to get rid of BING it does not want to leave me.

I now wonder if I upgrade Google to Chrome if that will perhaps resolve my problem.
    Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

If you are using IE10
      Click on the icon like a gear cog at the far right of the toolbar

In the Options, add BOTH Google and TT's url address as the home page, one below the other

This makes both tabs appear when you open IE10

I do not understand what you mean by "The IE icon is now BING ", as Bing is just a search engine (like Google) and if you set Google to be the home page, bing stops appearing.

You can check to see if Bing has been embedded as an add-on to run if you action a search from the IE address box (where you normally type in a web address)
      Again, click on the cog icon, but this time select Manage add-ons
      Go to Search Providers
      If Bing is there, click on it and choose Remove (at the bottom right)
      If Google is not listed, click on the hyperlink (blue underlined text) that says 'find more search providers' that is at the bottom left
      From this page, you can select Google and install it as a search provider
      once it has been installed, make sure that there is a tick in the box that says 'search n the address bar and the search box'

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hello Trevor,
        Thank you so much for such useful information that certainly helped me sort a few things out. One problem appeared to be this BING search engine that seemed embedded as you suggested. I have never looked at it so not certain why maybe it is something to do with Windows 10 advert that rarely leaves my screen they seem desperate for customers. There were a few others problems but touch wood I am sorted - until next time. Still thinking of buying an Apple Laptop next time to avoid Windows 10.
        I must also apologize for such a late acknowledgement .
        Last edited by Margaret N; 28-06-16, 22:59.
        Margaret N

Comment

Why do you want to avoid Windows 10?
          It works very well and is stable.
          Free upgrade ends on 29th July, after which, if you change your mind and do need to upgrade, it will be around £100

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor,

I have and early version of Windows 7 on my Samsung Laptop and why I decided not to try Windows 10 despite the advert that seems to appear at every opportunity when I start up is as follows: First the advert, I click on it and it tells me straight away that my laptop is suitable for Windows 10 as soon as I go ahead and click on it to install I get a further message instantly telling me that Windows 10 is not compatible for my computer, end of story. I have tried it a number of times and got no where. I have a friend and it took her 10 hours to download it and still did not work it cost her a fortune to get her machine restored.
            Margaret N

Comment

Strange, as I have been installing it repeatedly on many laptops and PCs, including older PCs and never had a problem.
              The download does take a while and I do know that many errors have been caused when people get fed up with waiting and stop it in mid-flow

Stick with Windows 7, but remember, later on, when all software etc is forced to use 10, it will then cost you

Researching:

Comment

I have just had another go and this is the wording that comes up on the notice:

We are sorry to let you know that this PC can't upgrade to Windows 10 because one or more things are incompatible - See right for report. This just says contact Samsung.

Next line at bottom : Click below to learn more about new Windows 10 devices - options - Check out new PCs - No Thank You - Maybe Later

I just think that it is wrong that these companies between them hold their customers to ransom so that they go without or buy new equipment. I have a very busy week now and do not have the time to struggle with my laptop. It sounds to me that when new Samsung put a block on it to prevent the system being changed.
                Last edited by Margaret N; 25-07-16, 23:26.
                Margaret N

Comment

Unfortunately I believe others have found they can't upgrade their Samsung laptop to Windows 10. I'll try and find the other thread.
                  Anne

Here you go ..... specially see post 93

Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 26-07-16, 00:30.

Comment

It could well be the age of the components within the laptop or the age of the laptop itself or how up to date you had been keeping the OS and not the make per so. As I said in the linked thread, my Samsug laptop had no issues whatsoever.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                    X