• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maria potter nee greenway

Hi
    Jabez batty 26 married Elizabeth potter22 marriedq1883 Barnsley
    Elizabeth father isCharles potter
    Charles potter22 married Maria Greenway20 dec1859 living atHarpurkey Manchester
    The1861 cencus shows charles 26& Maria 24 plus sibling John 2& Elizabeth 2 living in collyhurst lancs.
    In 1871 appears to have died as Charles is recorded as a widower aged 40 john 13 Elizabeth 11 addresspond hill sheffield.
    I have tried to find Maria's death but not found any results.
    please could any one help.

Thanks

I have found the several deaths for a Maria Potter on Freebmd, between 1861 and 1871 ............ but it is not easy because we don't know where she died.

The question is ................ were they still in Lancashire, or had they already moved to Sheffield, or had they moved from Lancashire to another place, and then to Sheffield.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Incidentally, the place where Maria was born, and where they were living, is Harpurhey, not Harpukey

I wonder if Maria and Charles separated, and he told people he was widowed to save face????

I can't find their marriage anywhere other than on lancsbmd, where it just shows married in 1859.

There are 2 John Potters showing on Freebmd as born in Manchester in 1859, 1 in the March quarter and 1 in the September quarter

I wonder if the marriage did not survive the birth of 2 children in a short 2 years?
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia.
        I will have to keep digging.
        Dorcus.

Comment

these are the deaths recorded between 1861 and 1871
          Potter Maria 1862 St. Giles, London, England
          Potter Maria 1863 Kingston, Surrey, England
          Potter Maria 1863 Sunderland, Durham, England
          Potter Maria 1864 Helmsley, Yorkshire, England
          Potter Maria 1865 Chelmsford, Essex, England
          Potter Maria 1865 Kidderminster, Worcestershire, England
          Potter Maria 1865 Wisbech, Cambridgeshire,

shame you dont know where she may have died

Comment

hi
            yes Val know but they seem to have moved around alot in those days.Thanks for the information though.
            Dorcus

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
              Incidentally, the place where Maria was born, and where they were living, is Harpurhey, not Harpukey

I wonder if Maria and Charles separated, and he told people he was widowed to save face????

I can't find their marriage anywhere other than on lancsbmd, where it just shows married in 1859.

There are 2 John Potters showing on Freebmd as born in Manchester in 1859, 1 in the March quarter and 1 in the September quarter

I wonder if the marriage did not survive the birth of 2 children in a short 2 years?
              here you go Sylvia:

.http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8767

Name: Charles Potter
              Birth Year: abt 1835
              Marriage Date: 14 Dec 1857
              Parish: Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George
              Father's name: John Potter
              Spouse's Name: Maria Greenway
              Spouse's Father's Name: Samuel Greenway
              Archive Roll: 725
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think this might be your Charles Potter again in 1881 showing as married http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=9

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by dorcus View Post
                  Hi
                  Jabez batty 26 married Elizabeth potter22 marriedq1883 Barnsley
                  Elizabeth father isCharles potter
                  Charles potter22 married Maria Greenway20 dec1859 living atHarpurkey Manchester
                  The1861 cencus shows charles 26& Maria 24 plus sibling John 2& Elizabeth 2 living in collyhurst lancs.
                  In 1871 appears to have died as Charles is recorded as a widower aged 40 john 13 Elizabeth 11 addresspond hill sheffield.
                  I have tried to find Maria's death but not found any results.
                  please could any one help.

Thanks
                  Can you give us the link or reference for the 1871 census please?
                  Margaret

Comment

Hi i have looked on the 1871 census and it does say charles potter widower 40
                    john 13 and elizabeth 11living in pond hill sheffield
                    Elizabeth Powell as a housekeeper aged 37
                    Thanks

Comment

Julie

Thank you ......

but it's now even more confusing!!

Dorcus said Dec 1859, lancsbmd says 1859, yet that record is for December 1857

OK ............ I've now found the marriage on ancestry.

Charles is 22 and Maria 20

John Potter was a Silk Picker, and Samuel Greenway was a Labourer

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                        Julie

Thank you ......

but it's now even more confusing!!

Dorcus said Dec 1859, lancsbmd says 1859, yet that record is for December 1857

OK ............ I've now found the marriage on ancestry.

Charles is 22 and Maria 20

John Potter was a Silk Picker, and Samuel Greenway was a Labourer
                        See post #7 with the link for the image of the register entry.
                        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by dorcus View Post
                          Hi i have looked on the 1871 census and it does say charles potter widower 40
                          john 13 and elizabeth 11living in pond hill sheffield
                          Elizabeth Powell as a housekeeper aged 37
                          Thanks
                          I just thought that perhaps another pair of eyes on the image might produce more clues. Charles could have said widower even if he wasn't. Having a housekeeper when only a labourer smacks of a 'living together' situation.
                          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            Can you give us the link or reference for the 1871 census please?
                            Margaret
                            here you go Margaret,

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=4
                            Julie

Comment

I couldn't find them in 1871 on a search on Ancestry but did on FMP. One thing I noticed is that although housekeeper was her occupation Elizabeth Powell was not shown as servant in the relationship to head column (that was left blank)
                              Last edited by JudithM; 16-06-16, 06:51.
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                I couldn't find them in 1871 on a search on Ancestry but did on FMP. One thing I noticed is that although housekeeper was her occupation Elizabeth Powell was not shown as servant in the relationship to head column (that was left blank)
                                see my link on previous post Judith, that is them in 1871
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                  I see also that Elizabeth Powell is shown as married. It might be worth tracking her before and after 1871.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    Thanks. I couldn't find it on ancestry and see why now - his age is mis-transcribed as 30 giving a year of birth of 1841 whereas he actually gives his age as 40 making it 1831!!

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                    X