Lost Cousins newsletter - June 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Cousins newsletter - June 2016

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Has anyone tried this free On line genealogy course at the FutureLearn site,which starts 18th July

I,ve signed up for it in the hope of becoming more proficient in my research.
    Matt
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Hey Matt... I've signed up for the same course... maybe bump into you there?

Comment

Hi Pakehamack and welcome to the forum,I'll keep an eye out for you.
        Matt.

Comment

I did it last time round. If you are not a complete beginner, you will find parts of it rather simplistic. The DNA module is the opposite, it did my head in.
          The course has to cover so much that inevitably it cannot go into anything in any depth.
          Some of the presenters are better than others and there is a lot of background music that is too loud and drowns out the speech. Hopefully all the web chats will work ok. Our first one was a technical disaster but after loads of complaints on the comments boards, the rest were much better.
          The individual lectures containing the overviews and PowerPoint are downloadable.
          One of the best things about the course is the number of useful links at the bottom of the sectors. Some you will need to click on to see items that are being referred to in the PowerPoint. Some are for further reading and some are good links for research. At the end if the course, there is a PDF of all the links given. This came about from suggestions on the comments boards. They showed themselves to be pro-active to suggestions and complaints. I would advise that you save any links you fancy as you go along as I didn't check that the PDF actually does have every one in it.
          To save you all from getting a shock, the price of the completion certificate is £35 plus postage. Pretty steep for what appears to be a computer produced A4 bit of paper. Purchase is not compulsory.
          The course will take about 4 hours study per week, a wee bit more if you follow every link. Towards the end, the time needed gets a bit less.
          Overall, I did learn a few things and enjoyed the experience.

Comment

Thanks Gallowaylass for that information,as for £35 for a certificate no chance.I will happily spend it on Scotlandspeople credits instead.
            Just had Email from them recommending these 2 books...Genealogy: Essential Research Methods and
            How to Do Everything: Genealogy, Fourth Edition. Any idea, did you need /get/use them.
            Matt

Comment

When the course was on earlier in the year, a facebook group was set up as an informal discussion group for those that had registered on the course.

The general consensus was that although the suggested books might prove useful, they were not essential as the course provides links to quite a lot of additional reading material.

I registered on the original course but unfortunately personal commitments got in the way at the time so I didn't complete it. However, the good thing about the course is that you can complete it in your own time and the information remains available to you for one year.
              Elaine

Comment

There's no need to have the books.
                The cheapest method to get hold of the books is borrow them from your local library. If you do want to purchase, the best price a few months ago was Kindle eBooks.

Comment

Thanks Elaine, it appears that a number of people are re joining.

Good idea Gallowaylass, have just reserved the first book online with local library.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                    Good idea Gallowaylass, have just reserved the first book online with local library.
                    Well done! Use us or lose us :-) (not me specifically any more as I have retired but I will always thump the tub for our libraries).

Comment

FuturLearn Gene training online

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I did it last time round. If you are not a complete beginner, you will find parts of it rather simplistic. The DNA module is the opposite, it did my head in.
                      The course has to cover so much that inevitably it cannot go into anything in any depth.
                      Some of the presenters are better than others and there is a lot of background music that is too loud and drowns out the speech. Hopefully all the web chats will work ok. Our first one was a technical disaster but after loads of complaints on the comments boards, the rest were much better.
                      The individual lectures containing the overviews and PowerPoint are downloadable.
                      One of the best things about the course is the number of useful links at the bottom of the sectors. Some you will need to click on to see items that are being referred to in the PowerPoint. Some are for further reading and some are good links for research. At the end if the course, there is a PDF of all the links given. This came about from suggestions on the comments boards. They showed themselves to be pro-active to suggestions and complaints. I would advise that you save any links you fancy as you go along as I didn't check that the PDF actually does have every one in it.
                      To save you all from getting a shock, the price of the completion certificate is £35 plus postage. Pretty steep for what appears to be a computer produced A4 bit of paper. Purchase is not compulsory.
                      The course will take about 4 hours study per week, a wee bit more if you follow every link. Towards the end, the time needed gets a bit less.
                      Overall, I did learn a few things and enjoyed the experience.
                      Thanks for your detailed response, GallowayLass! Wow -- it sounds like you had some great engagement with the course materials! Good on ya!

Comment

If I had that kinda cash to spend, I'd put it on ScotlandsPeople also, Matt! Good point. Thanks for your suggested readings also.

Comment

Working...
                        X