Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John William Cooper abt 1885

Hi
    My partner is having trouble finding anything to do with her great great grandfather.

Her Father John William Cooper b 1934
    G Father John William Cooper b 1910 also known as Cooper /Pritchard born in Tamworth Staffordshire
    GG Father John William Cooper b abt 1885 wed an Alice Pritchard a year after John was born they had a daughter Edith born in 1912... 1911 census says he was born in the parish of teddington Leicestershire...we would like to know were he was born so we can get his cert and a a possible marriage if there is one...we have done a lot of searches to find anything about him with no avail, we do have his son's wedding cert and Marriage cert , his Father's name is mentioned on the wedding cert but not on his birth cert. Can anyone help with this...
    Regards
    Colin
    Last edited by scouse007; 07-06-16, 20:15.

Sorry should say Parish of Teddingworth or theddingworth Leicestershire

Comment

Hi Colin
      Don't think there is a Teddington in Leicestershire. I know from our boating holidays that the first lock on the River Thames is at Teddington in Middlesex (may come under Surrey).
      Were you looking for the marriage of John William to Alice Pritchard? if so it was the 1st Qtr of 1911 at Tamworth. A bit confusing when there are 3 John Williams.
      Moggie

Comment

Hello Colin

Just some thoughts for now

Not seeing a john w cooper born 1885 teddingworth which I believe would be a Melton Mowbray reg

I'm looking at a young John w in 1891 with grandparents mary and Thomas b 1885 bottesford, leics which l believe would be a Grantham, lincs reg
        He is with single mother Fannie M and grandmother mary in 1901

Fannie M can be seen 1871 with granparents and later as a Dom servant with her sister in nottingham. Fannie M was in Notts census 1881-1891 so it is possible this John w could have a leics, lincs or Notts reg

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 07-06-16, 23:37.

Comment

Births Mar 1885
          COOPER John Market Harborough 7a 23

Theddingworth is in the registration district of Market Harborough
          Middle name William may have been added at his baptism.

a Maybe?
          Looks like he was with his father James? (though he is single so maybe an uncle) as well as his grandparents on the 1891 census.
          Registration Number RG12 Piece/Folio2209/ 88 p 15
          Newton Regis, St Mary, Tamworth

John Cooper Head M 59 Polesworth, Tamworth, Warwickshire, England - Ag Lab
          Susan Cooper Wife F 58 Appleby, Leicestershire, England
          James Cooper Son M 31 Seckington, Warwickshire, England, - cowman
          John Cooper Grandson M 6 Frankton (?), Leicestershire, England
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-06-16, 09:15.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Think I am leading you astray with the above census!
            I still think the birth may be correct tho'.

Grandmother Susan was born Appleby, Leics which is in the Ashby de la Zouch area and there is a John Cooper b Jun 1885 Ashby Z. 7a 91 :(

Ashby de la Zouch spans the boundaries of the counties of Derbyshire and Leicestershire.
            Appleby, Polesworth, Newton Regis and Seckington are all on the road between Tamworth and Ashby DLZ
            Back to the drawing board then
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-06-16, 10:15.
            Kat

Comment

OH just looked at your 1911 census and seen this:
              John William Cooper Pritchard Son - Male - 0 1911 Parish of Nomans Heath Warwickshire

1901 Census
              RG13 Piece number 2650 Folio 113 p 8

Jno W, Cooper, Servant, Single, Male, 17, 1884, Waggoner On Farm, born No Mans Heath, Leicestershire.
              No Man's Heath is also between Tamworth and Ashby DLD

I think then my 1891 census find above is correct after all
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-06-16, 10:31. Reason: extra info
              Kat

Comment

The 1891 census says Frankton as birth which is in the Rugby reg dist. This is the only John between 1883 and 1887.
                Cooper John William - Rugby 6d 504 - Dec 1886
                Kat

Comment

1881 census Fradley, Staffordshire RG11 Piece 2777 Folio 19 Page 11

John Cooper Head Married Male 49 1832 Shepherd Polesworth, Warwickshire,
                  Susan Cooper Wife Married Female 48 1833 - Appleby, Leicestershire,
                  James Cooper Son Single Male 22 1859 Agr Lab Seckington, Warwickshire
                  William Cooper Son Single Male 17 1864 Waggoner Seckington, Warwickshire,
                  Clara Cooper Daughter Single Female 8 1873 Scholar Northamptonshire,

1891 census for William - perhaps John was just visiting his grandparents on census day
                  Lichfield, RG 12 Piece 2214 Folio 57 Page 11
                  William Cooper Head Married Male 28 1863 Shepherd Seckington, Staffordshire,
                  Elizabeth Cooper Wife Married Female 35 1856 - Whittington, Staffordshire,
                  William Cooper Son - Male 9 1882 Scholar Fradley, Staffordshire,
                  Sissie Cooper Daughter - Female 4 1887 Scholar Walsall, Staffordshire,
                  Gertrude Cooper Daughter - Female 2 1889 - Walsall, Staffordshire,
                  Kat

Comment

There's a John W & Alice living in Lichfield in 1939 which shows a birth date of 31/12/1884. Don't know if that's a red herring!!
                    Glen

Comment

Marriages Dec 1881
                      Bailey Elizabeth Lichfield 6b 643
                      COOPER William Lichfield 6b 643

1881 Living Lichfield
                      Elizabeth Bailey Servant Single Female 24 1857 General Servant Domestic Whittington, Derbyshire, not Staffs
                      Kat

Comment

Thanks to Kat and other members for your time and research...my partner Maggie was very happy and will be looking at this over the week-end... :o

Comment

John William Cooper 1885 Leic;s

Hi
                          Looking at the above 1881 census, that is not the john born in 1885 ....has he is not born then, There is a good possibility it being him in the 1891 with as his grandson , as we are looking for his father , we can not find him in 1881 either in census or in military...

Comment

The John and Susan Cooper in 1881 census are the Grandparents of John William b 1885

Here they are in the 1871 with another son John William b 1854

1871 census Alexton, Leicestershire, England (Allexton)
                            John, Cooper, Head, -, Male, 40, 1831, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                            Susan, Cooper, Wife, -, Female, 39, 1832, -, Leicestershire, England, Transcription
                            John Wm, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 17, 1854, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                            Sarah Ann, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 11, 1860, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                            James, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 12, 1859, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                            William, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 8, 1863, -, Warwickshire, England,

Name, John William Cooper
                            Gender, Male
                            Christening Date, 01 Jan 1854
                            Christening Place, APPLEBY MAGNA,LEICESTER,
                            Father's Name, John Cooper
                            Mother's Name, Susan

Marriage Dec 1876
                            COOPER, John William, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,
                            COOPER, Sarah Anne, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,
                            POWELL, Elizabeth, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,
                            Taylor, George, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,

Sarah Ann is John W ‘s sister b 1860 Seckington marr George Taylor

1881 Chilcote, Leicestershire – (close to No Man’s Heath)
                            John W, Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 27, 1854, Agricultural Lab, Appleby, Derbyshire, (sic)
                            Elizabeth, Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 29, 1852, Labourers Wife, Leicestershire, England, Ellen, Cooper, Daughter, Single, Female, 3, 1878, -, Walton on Trent, Staffordshire, England, Thomas, Cooper, Son, Single, Male, 2, 1879, -, Leicestershire, England,

John William Cooper born Mar 1885 Market Harboro 7a 23............... (Theddingworth)

His brother Thomas was born nearby at Marston.
                            It looks like mother Elizabeth died at John’s birth or soon after. Lutterworth hospital maybe – only 5 miles away from Theddingworth

Death March 1885
                            Cooper, Elizabeth, 33, Lutterworth, 7a, 5

2nd Marriage Dec 1885
                            BAILEY, Mary Ann, , Lichfield, 6b, 669,
                            Cooper, John William, , Lichfield, 6b, 669,
                            Looks like he married the sister of his brother William’s wife - Elizabeth Bailey.

1891 census
                            Cottage, The Grove, Fisherwick, Lichfield, Staffordshire,
                            John W, Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 37, 1854, Shepherd, Warwickshire, England,
                            Mary Ann, Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 37, 1854, -, Whittington, Staffordshire, England,
                            Ellen, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 13, 1878, Scholar, Staffordshire, England, Transcription
                            Thomas, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 12, 1879, Scholar, Marston, Leicestershire, England, Transcription
                            Elizabeth S, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 9, 1882, Scholar, Staffordshire, England, Transcription
                            Frances, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 4, 1887, -, Staffordshire, England, Transcription
                            George H, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 3, 1888, -, Ingestre, Staffordshire, England,

You have the 1891 and 1901 censuses for John William b 1885 up thread.
                            Perhaps the 1885 birth cert will give you the correct parents - hopefully John and Elizabeth Powell
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-06-16, 06:44.
                            Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              The John and Susan Cooper in 1881 census are the Grandparents of John William b 1885

Here they are in the 1871 with another son John William b 1854

1871 census Alexton, Leicestershire, England (Allexton)
                              John, Cooper, Head, -, Male, 40, 1831, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                              Susan, Cooper, Wife, -, Female, 39, 1832, -, Leicestershire, England, Transcription
                              John Wm, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 17, 1854, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                              Sarah Ann, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 11, 1860, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                              James, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 12, 1859, -, Warwickshire, England, Transcription
                              William, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 8, 1863, -, Warwickshire, England,

Name, John William Cooper
                              Gender, Male
                              Christening Date, 01 Jan 1854
                              Christening Place, APPLEBY MAGNA,LEICESTER,
                              Father's Name, John Cooper
                              Mother's Name, Susan

Marriage Dec 1876
                              COOPER, John William, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,
                              COOPER, Sarah Anne, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,
                              POWELL, Elizabeth, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,
                              Taylor, George, , Tamworth, 6b, 659,

Sarah Ann is John W ‘s sister b 1860 Seckington marr George Taylor

1881 Chilcote, Leicestershire – (close to No Man’s Heath)
                              John W, Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 27, 1854, Agricultural Lab, Appleby, Derbyshire, (sic)
                              Elizabeth, Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 29, 1852, Labourers Wife, Leicestershire, England, Ellen, Cooper, Daughter, Single, Female, 3, 1878, -, Walton on Trent, Staffordshire, England, Thomas, Cooper, Son, Single, Male, 2, 1879, -, Leicestershire, England,

John William Cooper born Mar 1885 Market Harboro 7a 23............... (Theddingworth)

His brother Thomas was born nearby at Marston.
                              It looks like mother Elizabeth died at John’s birth or soon after. Lutterworth hospital maybe – only 5 miles away from Theddingworth

Death March 1885
                              Cooper, Elizabeth, 33, Lutterworth, 7a, 5

2nd Marriage Dec 1885
                              BAILEY, Mary Ann, , Lichfield, 6b, 669,
                              Cooper, John William, , Lichfield, 6b, 669,
                              Looks like he married the sister of his brother William’s wife - Elizabeth Bailey.

1891 census
                              Cottage, The Grove, Fisherwick, Lichfield, Staffordshire,
                              John W, Cooper, Head, Married, Male, 37, 1854, Shepherd, Warwickshire, England,
                              Mary Ann, Cooper, Wife, Married, Female, 37, 1854, -, Whittington, Staffordshire, England,
                              Ellen, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 13, 1878, Scholar, Staffordshire, England, Transcription
                              Thomas, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 12, 1879, Scholar, Marston, Leicestershire, England, Transcription
                              Elizabeth S, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 9, 1882, Scholar, Staffordshire, England, Transcription
                              Frances, Cooper, Daughter, -, Female, 4, 1887, -, Staffordshire, England, Transcription
                              George H, Cooper, Son, -, Male, 3, 1888, -, Ingestre, Staffordshire, England,

You have the 1891 and 1901 censuses for John William b 1885 up thread.
                              Perhaps the 1885 birth cert will give you the correct parents - hopefully John and Elizabeth Powell

Hi I would like to THANK YOU so much for all the information you have sent me, I really think you might be on the right track, I have managed to get in touch with my second cousin unbeknown to me she is also doing the tree, we are meeting tomorrow and go through things together. Once again I can't thank you enough for all the work you have done, you have really done a fantastic job. I will let you know how we got on tomorrow.

Very many kind regards
                              Maggie

Comment

You're very welcome
                                The tree, if correct, is an extraordinary example of how ag labs had to move around for work because of a combination of events that occurred in late 17th and early 18th century eg General Enclosure Act, a twenty-year depression in agriculture after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, The Swing Riots, poor harvests, 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act. etc etc. I thought my lot in East Anglia moved around a lot but yours beat mine! John Cooper b 1832 and son John William b 1834 between them lived in about 20 different places spread between Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Staffordshire. All 7 children of John William were born in a different village. I suspect that they were attending hiring fairs to get work which would mean yearly or even only monthly contracts.
                                Let us know how you get on.
                                Kat

Comment

john cooper

Hi thanks for all the information you have sent me I have been given 3 generations off my cousin and most of what you sent me was correct, I managed to get John william cooper Birth certificate he was born in theddingworth in 1884 he was not registered until 1885 because his mother elizabeth Powell was ill from consumption and she died on the 27/2/1885. John went to live with his grandparents Susan Cooper and John William, in the 1901 census he was a servant at clifton Campville just 2 miles from his grandparents working as a waggoner. John married Alice Pritchard and had 13 children.

John william 1853 was born in appleby magna leicestershire his parents were john and susan in 1861 he was living with his parents and siblings in seckington warwickshire in 1871 the family moved to a village called alexton near leicestershire and he was working as a agricultural labourer. On the 27 November 1876 John Married Elizabeth Powell, they had a double wedding with his sister Sarah Ann. After Elizabeth died John William remarries his brothers sister in law Mary Ann Bailey. In 1891 they are living at the cottage of fisherwick near lichfield, in 1901 the family moved to Withy Hill.

John William 1828 is the son of John Cooper and Sarah Arnold in 1851 john is shown on the census visiting his future wife susan bowman and her family, he was also an agricultural labourer. In 1881 they moved to Fradley and had their last child clara in 1873 by 1891 the family moved and settled in nomans heath warwickshire. Once again thank you for all your help it has been fantastic.

Maggie

Comment

Pleased everything added up
                                    Kat

Comment

Working...
                                    X