Surely not a receipt for a child ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surely not a receipt for a child ?

My son in law is in the process of clearing his late Uncle's house and he found what appears to be a receipt for a female child . Can anyone help to explain what this is and has anyone come across one before ? image.jpg

Hope the photo appears

Thanks
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

image is too small to see :(

Comment

Oh no and I felt so chuffed that I'd managed to attach it . I'll see what I can do .
      Liz

Comment

Surely not a receipt for a child , second try

Ok I'm hoping this one is a better size
        Liz
        Attached Files

Comment

That was easier to read. Yes it looks like the orphanage gave a "receipt" to whoever brought the child to them. I can imagine many a destitute mum clung to their receipt hoping that one day they would be able to take care of the child themselves.
          I guess receipts were given to officials from the parish or whoever brought the child to the home though, not just to relatives.
          Last edited by JudithM; 06-06-16, 21:08.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Going through a stroppy stage I accused my adoptive parents of buying me (think I saw some official paperwork that made me think that) what a horrible child I was - my poor parents.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Ah now that could be it as this family were very involved in the church . Thankyou for that Judith

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                That was easier to read. Yes it looks like the orphanage gave a "receipt" to whoever brought the child to them. I can imagine many a destitute mum clung to their receipt hoping that one day they would be able to take care of the child themselves.
                I guess receipts were given to officials from the parish or whoever brought the child to the home though, not just to relatives.
                In addition it also covers the parent(s) in the event of them being accused of deserting or even murdering their child.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Oh yes Guy I hadn't thought of that . As this person had quite an archive of papers from the chapel where he was a lay reader at one time I imagine it is just another part of that archive .
                  It did touch me though to see it and I wonder if the parent of child L in 1910 ever saw her again . I don't suppose there's any way of researching these "receipts" ?
                  Liz

Comment

Familysearch has an entry for Manmouth

Comment

That's interesting Photo family , not sure if Monmouth is the right area of Wales . Also does anyone know how you go about accessing such a resource . I just assumed there would be a transcript on family search ?

Liz

Comment

Working...
                      X