1939 query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 query

Have a woman who married again in 1950 and she is listed under her first married name and her second, what I am wondering is what this means next to it I know the bit that says 18 7 50 is when she remarried but it then says CCA M 1/c
    Might be off to bed now will look in tomorrow if anybody replies thanks

CCA is the registration district where the change of name was annotated.
    CCA = Barking, Essex.
    You can find a list of the districts on our 1939 Register page in the reference library - see link: Understanding 1939 Registration Districts

There doesn't seem to be any definitive list of the other abbreviations which appear on the page.
    I have seen suggestions that M=marriage, which in this case would mean the change of name was due to her getting married, although the date on the register doesn't necessarily reflect the date of marriage but rather the date on which the change of name was annotated on the Register.

1/c - it has been suggested that this might refer to one child - possibly not living with the mother at the time, maybe living with other family members or having been evacuated if during war time ... but don't quote me on this!
    Elaine

Comment

ah that could be right thanks Elaine

Comment

I have a similar query to which I cannot find the answer even when I checked the link, quoted by Elaine, as mentioned above.

The letters and figures relevant to my query are as follows CR283DN 8/4/86.

I'd appreciate any advice please.

Comment

CR283 was apparently the form that was used when there was a change of name or date of birth (presumably the dates of birth changes would only be if there was an error in the first place).

The ones I've seen have all been women changing their surname at marriage. The letter codes (and I'm guessing here) seem to relate to the area. I have EX for people living in Chigwell (Essex), some CH for Chester and a lot of LN for Stepney in London. It could be the county. Is your entry (DN) Devon?
          Jackie

Comment

where did you find that Jackie ? ta

Comment

The form is mentioned here

We’re the national information and technology partner to the health and social care system using digital technology to transform the NHS and social care

and I've just realised that it was also discussed here a week or so ago. They've come to the same conclusion about the county

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie must have missed that

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                  CR283 was apparently the form that was used when there was a change of name or date of birth (presumably the dates of birth changes would only be if there was an error in the first place).

The ones I've seen have all been women changing their surname at marriage. The letter codes (and I'm guessing here) seem to relate to the area. I have EX for people living in Chigwell (Essex), some CH for Chester and a lot of LN for Stepney in London. It could be the county. Is your entry (DN) Devon?

Hi Jackie,
                  I have followed your advice and agree that DN would be Devon and appropriate to my query. However, the date mystifies me somewhat - if that date related to a marriage it would be incorrect as the spouse would have been deceased on that date.

Comment

I think the date is the date that the information was added to the Register, not the date that the event took place
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia,
                      Yes, I had wondered whether that was the relevance of the date, but ..... the lady never married was just 'common law' as far as I know. Her death was registered in 1994 under the name of her 'husband' so in 1986 that surname would not have been known.

Comment

Giddysue do you want to put the details on here maybe somebody can help

Comment

Maybe she was going under the name of her common law husband when something (hospital? Doctor?) caused an alteration to be made.
                          Anne

Comment

Working...
                          X