1939 transcription errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 transcription errors

Just flagging up the bad error I found today. A whole page has partly 'slipped' by one line meaning that birth dates are for the next person down and each household has someone from the next one in it, mostly the head of the next household tagged on the end! I have submitted corrections for the ones that relate to my family but haven't the time or inclination to do the whole page!

I thought it was odd I couldn't find my family. Just posting it here in case it helps anyone else.

Anne

I've not had a whole page like that but did have a household with "slippage" for which I was very grateful. The daughter of the house had been blacked out (may well be still living) but on the transcription her occupation and date of birth had been allocated to the name above her (her mother), then dad had been given mum's dob and occupation. I knew the father when I was a small child and no way would he have been occupied with unpaid domestic duties! After making a note of the relevant dob I did submit a correction. Must check whether they have got around to putting it right yet.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I had a similar error for my grandmother, but fortunately there were only three or four entries which were mistranscribed by one line.

I think these errors have arisen because of the way the Register was transcribed - which was by column. So column 1 was transcribed first, with the rest of page hidden, then column 2 with rest of page hidden, then column 3 etc. etc. :(
      Elaine

Comment

Presumably to keep it private? Hmmm!

Are there any guides anywhere to the cryptic dates and abbreviations which appear in green or red ink? I had one today where the female had clearly remarried and I found the marriage on the GRO index. There was a date in green ink on the 1939 register but it was not the marriage or death date!

Anne

Comment

I think the date would be the date that the event was reported, not when it took place. I'm thinking about my own divorce. The NI department did not know I was divorced (why not????) and presumably somewhere in their system they have entered the date they found out I was divorced - which was some 25 years after it happened!.

OC

Comment

Ha, that's an interesting theory. The date I found today was probably about 5 years after the marriage. Maybe it only cropped up when she needed health care??
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I think the date would be the date that the event was reported, not when it took place.
              Yes, would agree.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post

Are there any guides anywhere to the cryptic dates and abbreviations which appear in green or red ink?
                Some of the abbreviations relate to the registration district where the correction/amendment was made.

See our page in the reference library -
                1939 Register
                - useful link: Understanding 1939 Registration Districts
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.
                  So a record with abbreviations is that of Rose Maud Hobbs living in Nottingham, born 1895.
                  Her surname is changed in green to Moorcock and the margin notes say 'CR283 3/7/57 BU'
                  The date of the remarriage was 1952. I have not found a death.
                  Just curious really but would appreciate any input anyone has, which might help us all with the notes.
                  Anne

Comment

From the 1939 Register Special Newsletter on Lost Cousins (link on our 1939 Register in the reference library)
                    CR283 is a form that is used when there is a Change of Surname, Forename, or Date of Birth (most changes will be surname changes, of course)
                    I would suggest that 3/7/57 is the date when the surname amendment was made.
                    I would have guessed that BU related to the registration district, but that doesn't appear on the Registration district listing - so not sure!

Where did the 1952 marriage take place?
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks, the marriage was Q1 1952 in the Eton registration district.
                      Perhaps the clerk making the entry wasn't sure either, maybe BU is just Buckinghamshire? I see from the list it should be DVJ.
                      Anne
                      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 30-05-16, 22:29.

Comment

Could therre be a clerical confusion between 52 and 57? 2 and 7 often look almost the same depending on handwriting.

OC

Comment

Yes, I did wonder but it really looks like a 7. Might have been copied wrongly at the time, I suppose? We need to know more about the updating process.
                          Really just curious but it could be useful sometime for us to understand more about it.
                          Anne

Comment

I definitely wouldn't be too worried about the date. The update of the Register apparently took place when the relevant authority was notified of the change of name, not when it actually happened. As the Register was by then being used by the NHS, it may be the first time she had needed to consult a doctor following her marriage.
                            Elaine

Comment

Does the actual date (day and month) correspond with the day and month on the marriage cert? If not, then it's definitely the date the information was received, not the date of the event.

The registers were updated by the NHS and others for many years and by hand, obviously. A window of opportunity for an error to occur!

OC

Comment

I don't have the certificate, this is a distant twig!! Interesting that the month is in the right quarter though. I think, as Elaine says the change of name may only have been flagged up when she needed health care. After all the NHS was in its infancy and probably people would not think about notifying them.
                                This discussion has shown that not too much importance shoul be given to the margin notes, although the changes of surname are very useful. I have noticed that some people have had their middle initials expanded into full fornames as well. Also very useful.
                                Anne

Comment

I don't have the certificate, this is a distant twig!! Interesting that the month is in the right quarter though. I think, as Elaine says the change of name may only have been flagged up when she needed health care. After all the NHS was in its infancy and probably people would not think about notifying them.
                                  This discussion has shown that not too much importance shoul be given to the margin notes, although the changes of surname are very useful. I have noticed that some people have had their middle initials expanded into full fornames as well. Also very useful.
                                  Anne
                                  Even now people don't think to tell various departments of their change of details - they assume it is all linked together when it has not been until very recent times.

I worked in Social Security and we had one benefit paying department on one floor of a building and another related but separate one on another floor and even we didn't have any scope for exchanging information. Stuff only came to light by mistake or when something happened that affected the other benefit.

No hope of information exchange for completely different official bodies such as for divorce or marriages which were not connected in with government departments.

Margaret

Comment

Presumably to keep it private? Hmmm!

Are there any guides anywhere to the cryptic dates and abbreviations which appear in green or red ink? I had one today where the female had clearly remarried and I found the marriage on the GRO index. There was a date in green ink on the 1939 register but it was not the marriage or death date!

Anne
                                    On the entries I have viewed green ink is used for a change of name other than change by marriage.
                                    By this I mean the change was notified by a doctor when the person joined a new practice or by hospital admission
                                    Changes of name by marriage seem to be noted by the use of blue ink (though I have seen at least one page where the whole page was completed in blue ink in such cases a mixture of green ink and black ink is used for changes of name and even corrections)
                                    Red ink seems to be reserved for correction of errors

Cheers
                                    Guy
                                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Interesting, Guy. This one was green ink so that supports our theory that notification was as a result of seeking health care for the first time since the change of name. Thanks.
                                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                                      X