Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marguerite/Maggie Paquette - abt 1890 Hawkesbury/Vankleek Hill Ontario

Hello!

I am looking for the origins of my husband's great-grandmother Marguerite / Margaret / Maggie Paquette (m. Pierre/Peter Seguin 24 June 1907 or 1908 Hawkesbury Ontario).

She was born between 1889-1891, to Joseph Paquette (b. 1865 in West Hawkesbury) and Valerie Monette (b. July 1871 in L'Orignal) who were married 2 Aug 1886 in Vankleek Hill.

Joseph Paquette's parents were Thomas Paquette (b. abt 1833 in Ontario) and Matilda Deshaitres (b. abt 1841 Ontario). Matilda's name is variously read on different documents as Domethilde/Domitille/Mathilde/Matilda and Deshaitres/Destutus/De****ies/Dabetre.

Valerie's parents were Paul Monette and Sophie Boileau (no additional info).

The Paquettes appear in various census years in Hawkesbury/Vankleek, and I have information on Marguerite's and Joseph's siblings, but I can't trace the ancestors any farther back.

Is there anyone out there with any additional information? Marguerite was probably of First Nations or Metis descent, is this why I am having trouble finding further records?

Thanks!
    Tara

Hi Tara,

I have found some records, but they are mostly in French, and very hard to read.

Sophie Monette
    d. 8 May 1917 age 82 years
    place of birth unknown
    retired lady, widow
    father ? Boileau
    mother ?
    informant Raphael Monette, Hawksbury

1891 Census, Hawksbury Ontario

Emelie Boileau, age 99yrs, born Quebec, widowed
    mother in law to Paul Monette, whose wife is Sophie.

Possible marriage
    Sophie Boileau to Francois/Paul Monette
    L'Original, Ontario 1855-1866
    Drouin Collection

Emelie Tatre dit Launiere
    married Andre Boileau ( but mistranscribed as Bailean)
    1828 - 1838 St Genevieve, Pierrefonds, Quebec
    Drouin Collection

I did find a possible baptism for Emilie Launiere, but couldn't work out anything that was written !

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi Tara,

I have sent you a private message.

Bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks! That's fantastic. :-)

Comment

Point of interest - I just found that Thomas Paquette and Domethilde first show up as a couple in the 1861 Census at Lochiel, Glengarry, Ontario (with their eldest son Peter/Pierre). Their name is rendered "Pakeet", which strikes me as a Scottish brogue pronunciation of Paquette. They may have been reported by a Scottish employer (possibly the McTavishes listed above them), which would explain the brogue. However - Lochiel is a predominantly Scottish settlement, and it is possible that Domethilde (i.e. Matilda) was the report source and her name is actually Matilda D____ (Scottish name), which would explain the great difficulty French records have in rendering it with any consistency.

Comment

Hi Tara,

Would you like me to see if I can find them in the earlier censuses - 1825, 1841 and 1851 ?

Just give me the names of Thomas and Matilda's parents, and I will see if I can find anything.

bcbrit

Comment

That's kind of you! I could never find Thomas & Matilda's marriage registry or any other documentation listing their parents' names. They are as far back as I can get so far!

Comment

Hi again bcbrit! I found that Matilda and Thomas' marriage might be in the "Ontario, Canada, Marriages 1801-1928" records, under Thomas Paquette and Domitille Dabetre. Looking at information from nosorigines, and comparing movement there with the emigration of my Paquette family, it is possible that Matilda was from the Jerome Deshetres family that moved around a lot between Michigan, Quebec, and Ontario. Matilda's grandparents might have been Jerome Deshetres and Therese Cousineau (m. 19 July 1802 at St Genevieve Pierrefonds QC), and her parents may have been Alexandre Paquette and Henriette Bernard dit Lariviere (m. 7 Jan 1883 at St Benoit, Deux Montagnes, QC). This is a guess, since Thomas and Matilda's first children were Pierre Thomas (named for Thomas), then Alexandre and Henriette (possibly named for Matilda's parents). :-)

Comment

Some Progress!!

I found out who Domethilde/Matilda Deshetres is! She is the missing daughter of Alexandre Deshetres (fils de Jerome Deshetres & Therese Cousineau) and Henrietta Bernard Lariviere. Her death record in Hawkesbury lists her parents. :-) :-)

Marguerite's mother is solved! The father is still a mystery. :-)

Originally posted by TaraClarkson View Post
                  Hello!

I am looking for the origins of my husband's great-grandmother Marguerite / Margaret / Maggie Paquette (m. Pierre/Peter Seguin 24 June 1907 or 1908 Hawkesbury Ontario).

She was born between 1889-1891, to Joseph Paquette (b. 1865 in West Hawkesbury) and Valerie Monette (b. July 1871 in L'Orignal) who were married 2 Aug 1886 in Vankleek Hill.

Joseph Paquette's parents were Thomas Paquette (b. abt 1833 in Ontario) and Matilda Deshaitres (b. abt 1841 Ontario). Matilda's name is variously read on different documents as Domethilde/Domitille/Mathilde/Matilda and Deshaitres/Destutus/De****ies/Dabetre.

Valerie's parents were Paul Monette and Sophie Boileau (no additional info).

The Paquettes appear in various census years in Hawkesbury/Vankleek, and I have information on Marguerite's and Joseph's siblings, but I can't trace the ancestors any farther back.

Is there anyone out there with any additional information? Marguerite was probably of First Nations or Metis descent, is this why I am having trouble finding further records?

Thanks!
                  Tara
                  Last edited by TaraClarkson; 15-02-17, 18:12.

Comment

Working...
                  X