Irish immigrants in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish immigrants in Scotland

Hi guys, new poster. I'm trying to find Scottish census and baptismal records for my second great grandmother Mary Ann Muldoon Joyce family in Scotland. I know that her parents William Muldoon and Sarah Lillie were born in County Fermanagh due ot my research on that surname and an obituary of her brother that lists Enniskillen as his place of birth. I very much believe that on Ancestry.com I've found copies of baptismal records for two of her brothers that say Glasgow, Lanark, High Church. I also believe I've found the immigration record of Mary, her mother, two brothers(William and Thomas), and a sister.(Elizabeth). Any advice? I've also had no luck finding her marriage certificate to my second great grandfather William Joyce but have had luck finding the marriage records of her brothers and sisters in the US.

Hi
    welcome to the boards
    have you any years for these people please.
    there are loads of Mary Ann Muldoon.

regards
    Jan x

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
      Hi
      welcome to the boards
      have you any years for these people please.
      there are loads of Mary Ann Muldoon.

regards

Jan x
      Thanks for the welcome Jan. I don't have a precise date unfortunately. I do think it was June of 1852 since that's what is listed on the 1900 census that she appears with her husband and children including my great grandmother in. The siblings would be: John, William, Thomas, Elizabeth, and Robert. I think she got married in 1876 but I can't for the life of me find where. I suspected it was in Ohio since that's where her brothers got married and where her first born (my great grandmother) Was born. Anyhow thanks again.

Comment

On ancestry, I can only see 1 Muldoon child to a William and Sarah for High Church, Glasgow - Robert 1860.
        Unfortunately this is no help to you other than the fact that by the time Robert was born, his father is shown as deceased and his mother was illiterate.
        This, in itself is a problem as there is no match for a death ceritficate for William in 1860 or 1859. In fact there isn't a match from 1855 to 1860.
        Also you are unlucky with Robert's year of birth as between 1856 and 1860, birth certificates did not contain the date and place of the parents' marriage. This information was taken in 1855 and from 1861 onwards.

1860 Births in the District of High Church in the Burgh of Glasgow 644/02
        Entry No. 716. Robert Muldoon born 1860, April Fourth, 8h 30m A.M., Blochairn, Glasgow. Father William Muldoon, Farm Servant (deceased). Mother Sarah Muldoon, Maiden Surname Lillie. Informant of birth Sarah Lillie, mother, Her X Mark, (Present) Peter Ferguson, Assist. Registrar, Witness. Registered 1860, May 2nd At Glasgow. Peter Ferguson, Assist. Registrar.

When did they emigrate as I cannot find any of the family on the Scotland census for 1861 when Robert would be only 1 year old. William and Sarah are not in the 1851 census either. Presumably, they were still in Ireland then?
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-05-16, 01:19.

Comment

This is a list from SP of all the Mary Ann MULDOON (or variant) who have marriedin Scotland from 1855 to 2014

1862 TULLY PETER MCILDOON MARY ANN CLYDE GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/05 01701936 MOUNCE JOHN MILDOON MARY ANN W DALRY(AYR) /AYR 587/00 0039
          1977 THOMSON WILLIAM HARRISO MULDOON ANN MARY MOTHERWELL AND WISHAW /NORTH LANARKSHIRE 570/00 0222
          1875 BUCHANAN WILLIAM MULDOON MARY ANN ST.ROLLOX GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/06 0298
          1891 CLARK DONALD MULDOON MARY ANN BO'NESS /WEST LOTHIAN 663/00 0002
          1916 DODDS JOHN MULDOON MARY ANN DUMFRIES /DUMFRIES 821/000154
          1876 KEAN JAMES MULDOON MARY ANN GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/12 0498
          1859 MCBRIDE FRANCIS MULDOON MARY ANN DALZIEL /LANARK 639/000005
          1899 MCKENNA PATRICK MULDOON MARY ANN BRIDGETON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/01 0361
          1943 RAEPER GEORGE YOUNG MULDOON MARY ANN GALASHIELS /SELKIRK 775/00 0019
          2008 MAGILL HENRY MARTIN MULDOON MARY ANNMARGAR LEVEN /FIFE 415/000052
          1872 MCCANN JOHN MULDOON MARY ANNE KILBIRNIE /AYR 596/000040
          1872 MCCANN JOHN MULDOUN MARY ANNE KILBIRNIE /AYR 596/000040
          1862 FERGUSON JOHN MULDOWN MARY ANN DALZIEL /LANARK 639/000012
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-05-16, 01:30.

Comment

I have found the other birth now. It's shown as MILLDON and mother's maiden name as Sally LILLY

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              On ancestry, I can only see 1 Muldoon child to a William and Sarah for High Church, Glasgow - Robert 1860.
              Unfortunately this is no help to you other than the fact that by the time Robert was born, his father is shown as deceased and his mother was illiterate.
              This, in itself is a problem as there is no match for a death ceritficate for William in 1860 or 1859. In fact there isn't a match from 1855 to 1860.
              Also you are unlucky with Robert's year of birth as between 1856 and 1860, birth certificates did not contain the date and place of the parents' marriage. This information was taken in 1855 and from 1861 onwards.

1860 Births in the District of High Church in the Burgh of Glasgow 644/02
              Entry No. 716. Robert Muldoon born 1860, April Fourth, 8h 30m A.M., Blochairn, Glasgow. Father William Muldoon, Farm Servant (deceased). Mother Sarah Muldoon, Maiden Surname Lillie. Informant of birth Sarah Lillie, mother, Her X Mark, (Present) Peter Ferguson, Assist. Registrar, Witness. Registered 1860, May 2nd At Glasgow. Peter Ferguson, Assist. Registrar.

When did they emigrate as I cannot find any of the family on the Scotland census for 1861 when Robert would be only 1 year old. William and Sarah are not in the 1851 census either. Presumably, they were still in Ireland then?
              Wow, thanks. it's actually useful to me to know that William was deceased by the time of his son's birth, that would mean he was the youngest. I also didn't know William's profession though I'm not surprised he was a farm servant. They emigrated in 1871 according to the US censuses I've found and I think I perhaps found the ship's manifest with them on it. And yes, I see your other response regarding the other son Thomas, I've seen Sarah's name spelled as Lilly in a couple other sources- her son John's Ohio death certificate and this document for Thomas. I think they still were in Ireland in 1851. As for Mary Ann's marriage, she was presumably married in the US around 1876. Anyhow, thanks so much for what you have found. I think I found something that explains why you can't find William's death certificate. This is from an old ancestry.com forum discussion, according to Mr. Sauvain, the older William Muldoon died at sea near Glasgow. I had assumed that he died on his family's trip to the US. Once again, many thanks for your help.I've found the Irish side of my family by far the most difficult to research.

Comment

Working...
              X