Searching for Hugh McKenna in USA in 1926

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Hugh McKenna in USA in 1926

Hi all, this is my first post. Hugh McKenna, last known location was Peoria, Illinois USA in 1926. Appeared to be studying for the medical profession and story was he became a doctor. Born CoTbridge in 1926 and his father, also Hugh, was living in Illinois from around the 1893 period. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

H* M* was born in 1926? or was he born earlier and was living in Peoria in 1926?

If he was born in 1926, do you know for fact that he is deceased?

Not finding H* M* in the US census on familysearch. There is a birth with that name in Chicago in 1911 - and his father was apparently a doctor:

Where is Cotbridge? Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for it. Google seems to have a hard time with it too.

Comment

Hugh McKenna was born in Coatbridge in 1893. Coatbridge is in Lanarkshire in Scotland.

Comment

PhotoFamily, sorry for the confusion and typos. I don't know if he is deceased but expect so as he was born in 1893.

Comment

Now I am confused, lol!
          Are you saying Hugh McKenna sen was born in Coatbridge Scotland about 1893? And that he went to Illinois?
          He had a son also named Hugh - born 1926, also in Coatbridge???????
          Was it father or son who was studying medicine?
          Have you looked on arrival passenger lists for Hugh senior?

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-05-16, 12:55.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet, sorry for confusion. Hugh McKenna was born in 1893 in Coatbridge in Scotland and emigrated to US in 1923 and was last known to have been in Peoria Illinois in 1926. His father, also Hugh, was born in 1867 in Cadder, Scotland, was a coal miner and was already in Illinois from around the early 1890's. Have not been able to find Hugh senior arriving in US but know Hugh junior went over in 1907 and his fare was paid by Hugh senior. It was Hugh junior who was studying in 1926. Hope this clarifies things.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.
              There was a Hugh McKenna, miner, 24 yrs, sailed from Glasgow to NY 6 May 1893 on the Anchoria - could this have been your man?

Are you saying Hugh sen went alone? There seems to have been a 29 yr old Rose Ann McKenna & a 4 Yr old John McKenna sailing on the same voyage, although there are two unconnected names separating them on the inventory. Are the names of Rose & John of any significance?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay, thanks for the reply. It may not be Hugh senior as this persons birth dates would be 1869. This could possibly be a cousin as, (just to confuse things even more), there were cousins with these names who may also have gone to the US. Would you be able to provide the other names you referred to. I will check out my tree info when home to see if this, Hugh and Rose Ann are the cousins dates. Many thanks

Comment

Referring to your info in #6
                  "Hugh McKenna was born in 1893 in Coatbridge in Scotland and emigrated to US in 1923 and was last known to have been in Peoria Illinois in 1926. His father, also Hugh, was born in 1867 in Cadder, Scotland, was a coal miner and was already in Illinois from around the early 1890's. Have not been able to find Hugh senior arriving in US but know Hugh junior went over in 1907 and his fare was paid by Hugh senior. It was Hugh junior who was studying in 1926."

So, when did Hugh junior go to the USA - 1923 or 1907????
                  The father was there from the 1890's and paid for his son to join him in 1907?? Where was he pre 1907?

As yet, I haven't found the son on a 1907 or 1923 passenger list.

Have you found Hugh senior in USA census returns, and if so, where and when? (I don't have access to American census, but other members probably do.)

Do you have documentation to back up your dates?

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-06-16, 09:51.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay, Hugh jnr went to US in 1923. He had visited in 1909 on the Columbia when he was aged 17 and was living with his grandparents (Mulraney) until this time and on his return to Scotland. His fare was paid by Hugh snr who was living in Sparland, Illinois. I have not been able to find them on US census. Regarding your info concerning Hugh on the Anchoria in 1893, I suppose it could be him but I have not been able to find him on ship lists so could you advise what you uncovered. Was it on Ellis Island? Regarding the other names of Rose Ann and 4 year old John I cannot say if they are connected or not. Hugh seniors cousin, Rose was born in 1866 in Lesmahagow in Scotland which would make her 27 in 1893. Sorry I can't be more certain.

Comment

I found the May 1893 record on a passenger list sailing FROM the UK. Theoretically, these records should dovetail with the Ellis Island ARRIVALS, but sometimes both records have not survived. I have seen the 26 Sep 1909 Ellis Island arrival, but can't find the corresponding departure from the UK.
                      I wonder what date the Columbia left England in order to arrive Ellis Island 26 Sep?? I know she left Glasgow for NY 20 August 1909.

What happened to the mother of Hugh jnr?

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-06-16, 21:20.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Ignore the above! I see from the Ellis Island record that he sailed from Londonderry. I have now checked sailings from "Ireland" and see that the ship sailed 18 September 1909. His entry has been indexed as Hugh M Kenna - he is listed as a miner.
                        When did Hugh Jnr return to the UK?

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Duplicate post

Jay
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-06-16, 21:39.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            Duplicate post

Jay
                            Jay, I don't know when Hugh jnr returned but he was on the 1911 census, living with his maternal grandfather, uncle (Mulraney) and his sister in Coatbridge. His mother died in Coatbridge in 1904 at age 36.

Comment

I am unable to access 1911 Scotland census. What occupation is given for Hugh? So far I've had no luck finding him arriving back 1909 (after he reached Ellis island) to 1911 (when census was taken.) You are sure the miner arriving 1909 was your man?

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes I am sure Hugh, the miner is mine. Hugh jnr arriving at Ellis island in 1909 has notes on manifest that his father paid his fare, that he came from Coatbridge and he was a miner. On his return to Scotland he lived with his maternal relatives, was in the Highland Light Infintry in WW1 and married my grandmother on 1916. I have not been able to find him in the US but know he went in 1923 and family stories confirm he left at that time.

Comment

I've found Hugh & his sister in 1901 in Coatbrige with the grandparents. Also in the household is May McKenna, their mother presumably, but there is no age given for her in the transcription and her place of birth is Stirlingshire.
                                  I've got the grandparents in Coatbridge in 1891, transcribed as MulVaney, rather than MulRaney, but there is no daughter May/Mary with them. I've had no success tracing Hugh sen & May in 1891. Do you have the certificate for their marriage, which should give date & place of marriage & the names of both sets of parents? The birth certificate/registration for either Hugh junior or Catherine should also give details of their parents' marriage.
                                  (If you haven't got any of the above images, then Scotlandspeople is the site we would recommend - it is a pay sight, but you can buy a small number of credits which would go quite a long way.)
                                  There are a lot of Hugh McKenna records on the internet, and without a bit more documented information about both of yours, it's difficult to pin them down. "Mc" is an Irish prefix, rather than the Scottish "Mac."
                                  I note Hugh Mulraney was Irish (also his wife) but as mentioned above, in the previous census (1891) he is named Mulvaney. This could be a transcription error - difficult to tell without seeing any original documents. Also in 1901 granddad Mulraney gives year of birth as 1841, whilst in 1891 it is recorded as 1836.
                                  I am going round in circles at the moment. Did your grandparents marry in Scotland? - if so, do you have a copy of the certificate and what family information is recorded on it?

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1881 census - Hugh & Ann MulRany were in Old Monkland Lanarkshire, with several children, one of whom was daughter Mary, recorded as born c1867 in Lanarkshire.
                                    In another household in Old Monkland is a Hugh McKenna, 14 yr old coalminer, born 1867 Garnkirk, Lanarkshire. Head of house is his widowed mother Catherine, born Ireland c1835.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-16, 09:13.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The date of immigration is out, but is this Hugh senior in 1910? (I'm just trying to get a handle on the family.)

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't think the above is your Hugh sen, as I saw an 1888 naturalisation record on familysearch, which probably dovetails with the above.

I've still had no luck finding Hugh sen & Mary (nee Mulraney) in 1891.

I remembered I had a few free credits for Scotlandspeople, so I looked up the birth of Hugh Junior - born 13 May 1993 at Dundyvan ??? Coatbridge. Parents married Coatbridge 19 Nov 1887. If you don't have the cert and would like me to forward a copy, you will need to send me your e-mail address via the personal message system of this site. (see notifications tab at the very top of the page - I think you may have to make one more post first.)

With regard to Hugh jun, bit of a change from miner to doctor. Have you tried looking for a database on medical qualifications/ practitioners etc? Any family stories about when or where he died, any WW2 service, married/single?

Jay
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-16, 15:46.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X