Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, but I cant remember how .............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but I cant remember how .............

My son has recently moved into an old cottage in Wymondham, Norfolk and Id love to find out who lived there previously. Its a terraced cottage but there are four in the row, including his, which seem a lot older than the other mid Victorian cottages in the row. The inside is very heavily beamed, inglenook and cupboard door opening to staircase.

When I used to be researching daily I knew how to find a road on a census but now Im faffing about and still ending up having to go through pages in the little town.

Can anyone please remind me the best way to check out the census for this cottage - although appreciate that the numbering system may well throw me, rather counting on the cottage a few doors up which clearly was a shop of some sort at one time to guide me to likely cottage if its not numbered.

Many thanks.

If you are using Ancestry, the 1911 census search form has a box for address.

For other years try putting the street name in the keyword box.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. Ive been putting street name in but not with much luck.

I will have a little break from it and try again when brain less addled.

Comment

This might work for you as Wymondham wasn't too huge. On Ancestry go to England and Wales Census for the year you want. Go to Browse the census. Select Norfolk, Wymondham and then under enumeration districts you'll have a list for 1891 there are 8 districts. The description page for each will list street names etc.
        Last edited by JudithM; 27-05-16, 19:21.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
          My son has recently moved into an old cottage in Wymondham, Norfolk and Id love to find out who lived there previously. Its a terraced cottage but there are four in the row, including his, which seem a lot older than the other mid Victorian cottages in the row. The inside is very heavily beamed, inglenook and cupboard door opening to staircase.

When I used to be researching daily I knew how to find a road on a census but now Im faffing about and still ending up having to go through pages in the little town.

Can anyone please remind me the best way to check out the census for this cottage - although appreciate that the numbering system may well throw me, rather counting on the cottage a few doors up which clearly was a shop of some sort at one time to guide me to likely cottage if its not numbered.

Many thanks.
          A lot of villages didn't have street/road names until recent times. People were listed on the census in a house in order of how the enumerator took them. You might find you need to identify a name and then trace that back through the censuses.
          I lived in a village in Rutland and I know my house had no identifying number or name to start with but then had a village number and latterly a street name and number.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, I was relying on the shop mentioned above to give me some idea of the right numbers

Comment

Working...
            X