No announcement yet.

How odd Marriage date on Headstone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks as though John plans to be buried in the same grave. It's very poignant, a real love match.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

hadn't thought of that Chrissie, be a great help to anybody researching them having the marriage date.

Comment

Yes Val, it would be lovely if they all had the marriage date on Mind you, on reflection, if it was usual to add them there may have been a few red faces around if they had always been assumed to be married but weren't!

Comment

supposing the other one remarried

Comment

Where is the stone, Val - abroad, in a cemetery?
            I don't think the inclusion of the name of a living spouse would be allowed in a churchyard in England, where the rules are much stricter than for municipal cemeteries. A "blank " headstone in a neighbouring village always used to spook me out and I used to always pop round the back expecting the inscription to be there, but of course it wasn't! (The churchyard was about to be closed and the elderly single verger wanted to buried there when the time came, so he got permission to reserve his plot and to put up the headstone and planned and paid the stonemason for the inscription which would be added later.)
            I think people not of the parish can now request a space for a fee, and then a small cement plinth with the name is put down, but nothing in the way of a headstone until there has been an interment.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

its in The Canadian Gravemarker site Janet, I'm looking through them trying to find my Slater's Wife.

Comment

I've seen many gravestones in the US that have the names of both spouses, and one of them has a death date, the other does not. Sometimes it's obvious that the surviving spouse must also have died (e.g., the DOB of the deceased one is quite old). Sometimes the one is just waiting for the other to join them.

And, yes, I've seen marriage dates, too. And a list of all the children of the marriage - with some of the children planted around 'em.

Last edited by PhotoFamily; 26-05-16, 13:32.

Comment

I would hate to have my name on a Gravestone before I'd even died.

Comment

It seems to be quite common in Europe as well. Also having photographs on gravestones, which I find a bit unsettling.
                    Anne

Comment

I was photographing a church near Colchester a few years ago and a couple (50 ish) turned up with their daughter and son-in-law to be, to view the plot they were all going to be buried in!
                      Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacky View Post
                        I was photographing a church near Colchester a few years ago and a couple (50 ish) turned up with their daughter and son-in-law to be, to view the plot they were all going to be buried in!
                        I have no problem with that. Most churches are getting short on consecrated ground and so restrictions have had to be imposed and certain conditions of qualification met. It is quite common for people to reserve their plot.
                        I do have a problem with the names of living people being inscribed on headstones though, so that all that needs to added later is their date of death.
                        Photographs inserted into headstones has been allowed in many municipal and privately owned cemeteries for some decades now, but as far as I know, is not allowed in C of E churchyards, which are governed by a different set of regulations.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-05-16, 08:11.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

No problems with reserving a plot, but a Sunday afternoon trip with the new in-laws to be to view said plot would stun me a little!
                          Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

My father took me to see his plot about 20 years before he died. Very nice.....problem was, when the time came, a huge tree had grown on the plot and we were hastily offered a different plot!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              I would hate to have my name on a Gravestone before I'd even died.
                              Yeah, I thought it was a bit creepy the first time I saw it - but it's great for genealogy! It also seems a bit lonely when you realize that the other person on the stone must have died in the meantime, but it isn't recorded on the gravestone. Likely scenario would be that the surviving spouse remarried, but I've also seen where the surviving spouse moved to children far away, and was buried there when the time came.
                              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-05-16, 14:40.

Comment

dont know what I'm worrying about I dont intend to have a Gravestone anyway, just hope I am really dead when they cremate me

Comment

We're getting a bit morbid aren't we

Comment

yes Chrissie suppose I am :(

Comment

Try doing what I do Val. I just enjoy every day as much as I can and assume we shall live to 120 :D

Comment

but would you really want to

Comment

Working...
                                        X