Help needed to solve family history puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to solve family history puzzle

Morning, I could really do with some help to solve a mystery.

I have a Fanny Shaw born in Liverpool in 1846 according to 1851 census, parents are William Shaw and Elizabeth ?.

I ordered the certificate for the only Fanny Shaw I could find but it came back with William and Ann Shaw nee Marsden as parents.

I did wonder if Ann was Elizabeth Ann by birth but preferred the name Ann.

In 1861 there is no sign of Fanny - except as a middle name for another daughter called Elizabeth born in 1853. My thinking is that Fanny died between 1851 and 1853 and Elizabeth was given the middle name as a kind of memorial. I cannot find a death for Fanny - this would have been in the Birmingham area.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hartist

Are they the family living in Harborne, Staffordshire in 1851? With a brother Thomas aged 13 born in Birmingham.

Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Herts;2575325]Are they the family living in Harborne, Staffordshire in 1851? With a brother Thomas aged 13 born in Birmingham.

Hi Elizabeth, yes that is the right family.

Hartist

Comment

There's a big gap in age between Thomas and Elizabeth - have you found any other siblings?

There's several deaths for Fanny Shaw

Mar 1851 - Dudley
        Jun 1853 - Dudley
        Mar 1854 - Dudley
        Jun 1855 - Birmingham
        Mar 1858 - Kings Norton
        Last edited by JBee; 17-05-16, 12:57.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi JBee, Thomas was the first born, then Fanny and then Elizabeth - I don't think there were any other siblings unless they died in infancy.

not sure if Harbourne would have come under Dudley but not impossible, I do suspect that Fanny died before Elizabeth was born.

Thanks for your input

Hartist

Comment

Harborne came under Staffordshire I think.

Birmingham was split between Worcestershire, Staffordshire and Warwickshire.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

sometimes Fanny can be Frances ?

Comment

could it be 1844? if so maybe this one

FRANCIS
                SHAW
                Birth year 1844
                Birth quarter 3
                District LIVERPOOL
                County Lancashire
                Country England
                Volume 20
                Page 321
                although this is a male spelling they do make mistakes some times
                Last edited by Guest; 17-05-16, 19:32.

Comment

does the occupation of her father on the birth cert match the census record?

Comment

Lanmcsbmd has

Fanny Shaw 1846 Widnes Halton - which is the Liverpool area.

OC

Comment

Thanks JBee - they certainly did some strange things in the old days.

Comment

Hi Val, I did wonder if it was another name for Frances, you are right with the birth record, although spelt wrong it could be a female, I think maybe 1844 is a bit too early though. Thanks for your interest in this mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          does the occupation of her father on the birth cert match the census record?
                          No it doesn't - it says labourer on the birth certificate but on 1841 census he was a Baker.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Lanmcsbmd has

Fanny Shaw 1846 Widnes Halton - which is the Liverpool area.

OC
                            OOH that one is interesting, thank you OC

Comment

Hmmm, not so sure now! I think that might be this one:

Baptism Fanny Shaw, 6th August 1846 daughter of Thomas Shaw Manufacturer and Susannah. St Luke (St Wilfred) Farnworth, Widnes.

There is another Fanny Shaw though, registered March Q, Liverpool. (Freebmd). Is this the one you already have?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Hartist View Post
                                Morning, I could really do with some help to solve a mystery.

I have a Fanny Shaw born in Liverpool in 1846 according to 1851 census, parents are William Shaw and Elizabeth ?.

I ordered the certificate for the only Fanny Shaw I could find but it came back with William and Ann Shaw nee Marsden as parents.

I did wonder if Ann was Elizabeth Ann by birth but preferred the name Ann.

In 1861 there is no sign of Fanny - except as a middle name for another daughter called Elizabeth born in 1853. My thinking is that Fanny died between 1851 and 1853 and Elizabeth was given the middle name as a kind of memorial. I cannot find a death for Fanny - this would have been in the Birmingham area.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hartist
                                I'm a little confused Hartist, which cert did you buy? the death?

She could have been a servant living elsewhere.
                                You might not find a birth cert for her as it wasn't compulsory to register a birth until 1875, so she could simply have been baptised and never registered.

the best bet to find the mothers maiden name would be to pick a child that was registered and order their birth cert/and/or buy the marriage cert. [if you have an idea where and when they married, presumably after 1837? ] failing that you will be looking at somewhere like www.familysearch.org for records pre 1837.
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

think she ordered the birth cert Julie ?

Comment

Hi Julie, I ordered the birth certificate. I will try and find a birth cert for elizabeth born in Birmingham in 1853.

Thanks

Hartist

Comment

Working...
                                    X